The Darkest Maze Ever

ParaSait MPSF parasait.mpsf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 17:06:57 PDT 2010

Announcing "The Darkest Maze Ever" (aka TDME). ;)

This is a roguelike/maze game that I've been working on every once in
a while in my spare time. It works with JsCurses (Javascript Curses),
which is a javascript library that I made to quite accurately emulate
a Curses controlled console window in your web browser. This means you
can play it anytime, anywhere, all you need a web browser that
supports Javascript (quite common these days :P).
Until now, I haven't been developing this in the big public, only a
few friends of mine have played it so far. I find that it has now come
to a point developed enough to announce it more widely.

You can play it right here: http://mpsf.x10.mx/tdme/

Some info (taken from the manual):

"
SO WHAT IS THIS GAME?
---------------------
Actually, TDME grew out of a little game I made called "Awesome Game".
It was made as a first practical test for JsCurses.
I call TDME a "roguelikelike". More precisely, this is a maze/puzzle
game with roguelike elements,
such as for example ascii graphics, turn based gameplay, 25 dungeon
levels, etc...
The biggest differences with other roguelikes are that the levels are
not randomly generated, there are no enemies (except the final boss),
no character evolution system, and there aren't a billion gazillion of
controls.

The story and the level design are mostly an absurd parody to other
RPG and roguelike stories.
You are (or shall I say "You is") sent into Hell by God to retrieve
the Holy Grail, which was stolen by Satan.
For that, You needs to progress through many mazes and solve various
unique puzzles. Or sometimes just suffer from dirty tricks and
traps. ;D
Perhaps the greatest difficulty about this game is, as the title says,
the darkness. Most of the time, the only thing you see is the 8 tiles
around you. Good luck with that!
"

Notes:
- Internet Explorer is currently not supported. I recommend Firefox or
Google Chrome.
- Play with numlock *on*. If you don't have numlock, you can play with
QWEADZXC (kind of the numpad equivalient of WASD).
- The manual is currently kind of out of date. It still mentions that
it'll lag big time in any other browser than Google Chrome, however in
the meantime JsCurses has been greatly optimised for faster execution.
- The current version (0.76) has a lot of debug stuff around. I'm
sorry for that. :P I will try to remove these annoyances in 0.8.
- If you play for the first time, make sure to press cancel if it asks
you to load the game. This will also be fixed.

If you liked TDME or you have questions or suggestions, feel free to
make an account on my forum http://mpsf.x10.mx/. It's really new right
now and we could use some members. ^_^
Have fun!