SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1995 #21: Then My Work Here is Done! (tm)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Jan 4 20:43:07 PST 2024

On 2024-01-04 14:47, Scott Eiler wrote:

>>> It's even more complicated than you think...  In-universe, it was
>>> drawn in and characters come from '95 (and reprinted in '05, hence
>>> the reprint commentary).  In the real world, drawn in '23 (hence the
>>> copyright notice) and published in '24.
>>
>> "Oh no I've gone cross-eyed" -Austin Powers
>>
>> (wait theres a comic series in universe that the characters read and
>> also the "actual" comic takes place in 2005? or)
>
> Oh, my, this one's so complicated, it needs a visual aid.  Welcome to
> Fractal Time!  (Scroll down from the cartoon to see Ununillium's
> original question and the answer from Powernaut Comics 2005, originally
> published in the Real World in 2012.)
>
> http://eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2005.htm#3
>
> -  We live in a universe in which people may dress up as Powernauts, but
> Powernauts with powers don't exist.  I get to publish Powernaut Comics
> here.
>
> -  Powernaut Comics are originally published in a universe where
> Powernauts have existed but some of their adventures are fictional, and
> commentators have always had to sort out the details.
>
> -  Powernauts actually exist in Fractal Time, in which their timeline
> sometimes goes off at right angles to reality, and it's always subject
> to change.  In that timeline, any Powernaut story is true for them.  But
> any adventures with Powernauts in them may differ from original stories.
>   Usually those changes are for the better, in my modern-day opinion.
>
> Back in the Real World, I have some stories from before I published
> Powernauts.  I have changed many details in those over the years, based
> on who the main characters are.  Maximum Extremity has had three sets of
> main characters over the years:  Total Conversion, Wyatt Ferguson, and
> now the Powernaut.  So it has three versions.  I now consider the
> version with Powernauts to be definitive.
>
> ... Uh, hope this helps!  8{D>

Oh, and if a story *says* it's happening in 1995, it's happening with
characters which somehow exist in 1995, and their origin is not
important to the story unless the story mentions it!  (The aftermath of
Megaphone: The End may be an awkward time to mention this, but oh well.)

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal.  From "The golden age of
Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.