SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1995 #13: Aww, F* It

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Sep 18 20:44:33 PDT 2023

On 2023-09-17 22:38, Drew Nilium wrote:
> On 9/17/23 8:21 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> I'd love to see some of your questions.  I've been light on Wyatt
>> Ferguson text commentary lately, but he's there to answer questions.
>
> Hmmmmm! Let's see... What actually happened to everyone when the
> Powernaut was summoned in #12? And why? X>
>
> Drew "slightly baffled" Nilium

Well, let's start answering!  But this might require two strips' worth
of commentary.  (Also uploaded, thanks.)

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary from Wyatt Ferguson!  The
Powernauts Have Gone Crazy and Unconscious

I've been asked, "What actually happened to everyone when the Powernaut
was summoned in #12? And why?"

As you know, everyone on that battlefield who had Powernaut powers had
collapsed.  At the time, I was able to make a quick battlefield
observation.  The scientist S.O.S. had said, Powernauts can't share
power.  Given these Powernauts had all collapsed, I guessed he was
spectacularly right.

Knowing what I learned later, I'd say the original Powernaut went into
shock after his resurrection.  And resurrection it was; he'd been
discorporated.  That shock cascaded into everyone who had shared his power.

What caused that shock?  Apparently he really wanted a "Paula" to meet
him.  About which, more with the next strip.

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary from Wyatt Ferguson!  Some Kind
of Paula?

Just before the original Powernaut went into shock, he was asking for
some kind of "Paula".  Assuming Powernaut comics are true to life,
that's almost certainly the woman who was with him at the time he was
discorporated.  That woman was discorporated also.

Other people of course have other theories about "Paula".  S.O.S.
himself said on TV, "Paula" was probably Paula Page, the woman who was
with Jeff Goldblatt on the beach the same time the Powernaut was.
Perhaps the Powernaut was trying to rescue them both - but he felt most
urgent about Paula.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal.  From "The golden age of
Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.