WWW: non humans?

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Fri Sep 15 21:43:32 PDT 2023

In article <ue33d0$3k550$1 at dont-email.me>,
candycanearter07  <no at thanks.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I was wondering if nonhumans were allowed? Here's my drawings of them
>http://0x0.st/HO8d.png

     Sure!  As the location in rec.arts.comics.* implies, the group got its
start on fiction related to (mostly superhero) comics, but there's been
plenty of stuff that spread out in other directions.  It might help to think
of story installments as issues of a comic or chapters of a manga or
webcomic, but the only real restriction here is that you need to have
permission to use any characters in your stories.  This is mostly to avoid
drawing the ire of major IP owners like Marvel or DC, although they are a lot
less likely to notice Usenet as they might have back in the 90s when we got
started.

>also ive never done creative writing before

     A lot of people have gotten their start here, or got their first
audiences here, including some who went on to be professional writers.
You'll find we're a fairly small community anymore (Usenet doesn't get the
kind of attention that AO3 does), but generally supportive.  The harsher
people have largely moved on to platforms where they can be nasty to more
people at once.  ;)

     Dave Van Domelen, did engage in creative writing before getting on
Usenet, but is pretty old and didn't even get Usenet access or internet in
general until senior year of college.