LNH: Looniverse Fight Chronicles Trading Card Game #0: Designer's Notes

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Sep 14 17:24:30 PDT 2023

On 2023-09-13 20:19, Drew Nilium wrote:
> On 9/13/23 3:08 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
> <snip>
>> About five years ago I revisited the game, and put in a "House Player"
>> for solitaire play.  That playtest came down to Total Conversion
>> (representing the Playtester, if I remember correctly) vs. Evil Wyatt
>> Ferguson (House Player) during an omniversal merge.  That
>> confrontation was equalized when Evil Wyatt drew a Solar Flare Cannon
>> card. Fortunately he was evil, so he could use it, and House Player
>> rules said he had to.  Unfortunately, the cannon tends to blow up the
>> entire Earth if anything goes wrong - and it did.  With all the Earths
>> having merged, *everything* blew up and the player characters all
>> ended up in Limbo. Game victory went to a couple of devil priests from
>> a dystopian world, because they had at least escaped their world.  8{D>
>
> Now that's what I call quality marriage of mechanics and flavor. n.n

Why thank you.  8{D>

I cracked open the game last night, replaced its Freemason faction with
Powernauts so as to make the game more exciting, and started another
playtest.  So far, the game has been a feud between an old set of
"Strange Invader" aliens from an obscure 1990s story of mine, and an
absolutely unpublished villain* - mostly taking place on the Powernauts'
earth.  Guest stars abound...  This could actually become an interesting
Powernaut comic of the post-2015 era.

* As this villain, imagine a guy in the future who buys a replica
Captain America shield of Russian manufacture at a Florida swap meet,
then gets cursed by a devil and caught in a cosmic ray storm at the
Nexus of Realities.  I'll seriously have to put this guy in fiction
sometime, if I can only avoid Marvel hating me for swiping so many of
their concepts then.  8{D>

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal.  From "The golden age of
Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.