SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1995 #18: Come to Nympho!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Nov 30 17:59:01 PST 2023

In a rare *second* Powernaut Comic strip in one month, a hero once again
has to lay down their life to stop an unstoppable alien invader - and
this time, it isn't the Powernaut!  More about this hero in the
comments...  but this series called "Maximum Extremity" has indeed
reached its maximum.

http://eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1995b.htm#18

Wyatt Ferguson might comment on next issue... but commentary on *this*
issue is a job for Author's Notes.

"Nympho" was one of the two female characters in a role-playing game I
ran in the 1990s.  The two players of those characters were female also.
The rest of the superhero team "Total Conversion" arose from that campaign.

I suspect Nympho (like the rest of Total Conversion) was created to
stretch the genre.  But I, being the gamemaster, made the Earth and the
entire universe increasingly challenging to that.  (Go figure.  It would
happen even worse in the Real World.)  And Powernauts weren't around
then.  So came the moment when only one character could save the Earth.
And she stepped up.

The player accused me afterwards of turning the campaign grim and
gritty.  In my defense as gamemaster, that was always going to happen.
She just wasn't around for most of the game play.  (Some of the players
who *were* around when the crackdown came said, About time you gave us a
challenge.)

I've thrown other stuff out of this story.  (There are some things which
simply do not happen with the Powernaut and his friends around.)  Still,
this part is important, so I have made an editorial decision to keep
this incident within Powernaut Comics.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal.  From "The golden age of
Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.