LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Slightly Unhinged Reviews: Beige Countdown

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 15:37:19 PDT 2023

On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 5:14:50 PM UTC-7, Drew Nilium wrote:

> "No no no!" Numen Kid Review hops down and starts gesticulating wildly! "What
> we're *actually* gonna do is start reviewing stuff in a new way! Specifically we
> just, had a reason to want to re-read Beige Countdown while we were putting it
> up on the wiki and we decided like, why not just go over it issue by issue and
> talk about each one? So we did, so here we go!!"

Man, it's a review of a 16 year old LNH miniseries!

> #10: God, every time I come around to Rob's writing it impresses me. Even
> knowing how good he is, you forget the lavish amounts of detail and the
> thoughtfully worked-in gags that slide in and energize every paragraph. And
> here, he's taking a whole bunch of Legionnaires he doesn't usually write and
> exploring each of them, throwing them into situations that are custom-made to
> show off what's interesting about them. He even throws in wonderful detail about
> the koala-focused ship design of the Christicantthinkofagoodname Empire.
> Aaaaaaaa I want to be this good at all of this.
>
> Betterman's Last Flight: My god, this is a lavish story that makes you think you
> know exactly what's going to happen and then rugpulls you perfectly. :D
>
> #9: Rob is pushing himself hard in this one, exploring all kinds of superheroic
> themes, stretching characters and the things they represent. It feels like kind
> of a struggle, one that's flawed at times, and I wonder if that's why #8 hasn't
> come out yet; but it's a worthwhile effort, interesting, engaging, and
> enjoyable. Jack Kirby's musings on art are my favorite part, and they're an
> expression of this fundamental problem, you know? It's worth slapping up what
> you can and getting it out there.

Yeah, Rob's stuff is all great.  I do really want to read #8 one of these days, but
there are probably a lot more better and more rewarding things Rob could do
with his time so I'm totally understanding if that never actually happens.

> #0: This is where it all comes together, and wow, it *comes together* into this
> tangled ball (complimentary) of emotion, legacy, tragedy, continuity, magic,
> death, and strangeness. It's a slide toward the inevitable, but one that shows
> how it's been held off, again and again, and presents the possibility that it
> can be stopped, and the possibility that it can't. Weird and strong.

Thanks for all the kind words.  My Ultimate goal was to just do something better
than the Countdown to Final Crisis series (which I think I accomplished).

Arthur "A long, long time ago..." Spitzer