LNH: Leadership Cry.sig: Net.ropolis 2023 #10: "Mystery of the Ninja's Heart! Our Missing Leader!?!"

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 16:18:36 PDT 2023

:::                 __             __          _  __                        :::
:+:                / /           ,'_/         / |/ /                        :+:
+:+               / /_          / /_         / || /                         +:+
:               /___/eadership |__/ry.sig: /_/|_/et.ropolis                 :
+                 _______  ________    _______  ________                    +
                  /  ___  \|\   __  \  /  ___  \|\_____  \
+               /__/|_/  /\ \  \|\  \/__/|_/  /\|____|\ /_                  +
#               |__|//  / /\ \  \\\  \__|//  / /     \|\  \                 #
+#+                  /  /_/__\ \  \\\  \  /  /_/__   __\_\  \               +#+
#+#                 |\________\ \_______\|\________\|\_______\              #+#
###                  \|_______|\|_______| \|_______|\|_______|              ###

         Issue #10: "Mystery of the Ninja's Heart! Our Missing Leader!?!"

Fearless Leader, Contraption Man, Cheesecake-Eater Lad, and Catalyst Lass were
assembled in the conference room, as Multi-Tasking Man connected the bulky
temporal signal-switchers (while checking the news about the chaos at this
year's easter egg hunt in Drayer Park, getting past Sanae in Mountain of Faith,
and shopping for a present for Taskani's birthday). He gave a thumbs-up, and
Contraption Man dialed in the settings for a trans-temporal video call.

Taskani appeared on the big monitor. "Thank you all for meeting with me on such
short notice. As I told Contraption Man, we've discovered archeological
evidence that the original Ultimate Ninja was the traitor we tried to warn you
of, so long ago."

"But I thought..." Catalyst Lass frowned. "Geez, no offense, but I thought--"

"That *I* turned out to be the traitor, after I got mind-controlled by
wReamicus Maximus." Contraption Man nodded, a wry smile on his face. "No,
that's right. But the thing is, I still changed history by showing up - the
great destruction that's my past never happened here."

"So we started wondering if, in our history, there had been *another* traitor,"
said Taskani. "One who was scared off when Conty showed up and started talking
about someone betraying the Legion."

"I *guess* that makes sense," said Cheesecake-Eater Lad dubiously. "But-- well,
what's this evidence you were talking about?"

"What looked like the remnants of a bunch of old leatherbound journals, thrown
into a fire... there were a few pages that hadn't been burned, and even tho
they were covered in soot, spectrographic analysis revealed writing on them.
It's clearly the Ultimate Ninja's handwriting, and it talks about a plan to
sneak in new members with implanted hypnotic triggers."

"Oof," said Multi-Tasking Man, attention in four places at once as he made sure
passing temporal fluxes didn't disrupt the signal. "That's pretty damning."

"...except," said Fearless Leader thoughtfully, "I seem to remember... there
was a time when the Ultimate Ninja was replaced."

"Ohhhhh, yeah!" said Catalyst Lass, perking up. "There was another Ultimate
Ninja, from... like, an alt.ernate universe or something? Who was in charge for
a while, and who was evil, and trapped our UN in another dimension with Cliche
Dude's brother."

"That's true," said Cheesecake-Eater Lad, rubbing his chin. "The journals could
have been his."

Taskani nodded, thoughtfully. "They could have been... but we don't have the
evidence to determine it either way."

"New members with hypnotic triggers..." Contraption Man's brows were furrowed,
a heavy weight dragging them down. "...hey, uh. Question. Did Nina ever meet
this evil alternate UN, back in the day?"

Everyone paused for a moment.

"...well, she wouldn't be any more likely than any of the members who joined
while the evil Ninja was in charge..." said Catalyst Lass. "...right?"

Fearless Leader was looking down. "...I want to think that."

"...Okay, no," said Cheesecake-Eater Lad, standing up. "We're not having this
conversation without her any more. Whatever happens in the future, we're
supporting her *now*."

"...yes, of course," said Fearless Leader, sitting up.

"Uh, problem with that, you guys," said Multi-Tasking Man, checking the duty
roster and scrolling thru camera footage. "She hasn't been in the LNHQ all
morning."

Shocked glances circled the room. Everyone knew she was usually in at 8 AM
sharp. Why would today be different?

Fifteen minutes later, Cheesecake-Eater Lad was at her apartment, using the
spare key she'd given him. "She's not here."

Catalyst Lass hung up her phone. "Zoe hasn't seen her."

Fearless Leader shook his head. "It's like she vanished."

Or, absolutely no one said, like she ran away.

Nina ran.

Murky water splashed up as she ran thru the sewers, far below Net.ropolis's
city streets. She didn't risk a look back, relying on her magically enhanced
hearing and danger sense to feel her pursuer getting closer. She didn't know
who was back there... but she knew she was being hunted.