LNH: Leadership Cry.sig: Net.ropolis 2023 #5

EDMLite robrogers72 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 10:55:24 PDT 2023

                    Leadership Cry.sig: Net.ropolis 2023 #5

The door to Ultimate Nina’s office surged open – an all-too-common
occurrence these days – and Nina was surprised to find herself
hoping for the welcome distraction of a planetary invasion,
accidental awakening of some elder god, or super-villain in a snit.

Instead, she saw Cynical Lass.

“May I help you?” Nina asked.

Cynical Lass drew a deep breath.  “I’m hoping I can help you, sir.
Ma’am,” she corrected.  “With this election.  As your campaign
manager.”

Ultimate Nina sighed.  When were the villains going to rise up off
their collective keisters and attack?  “I don’t need a campaign
manager,” she said.  “Or a campaign.  The LNH will choose the
person they believe is best qualified to lead.  If it happens to be
me, I will continue to do the job as best as I am able.”

“You poor, sweet, deluded…Sir!” Cynical Lass mumbled, as
Ultimate Nina shot her a look that, had it arrived several decades
earlier, might have done much to delay the advent of global
warming.  “Have you seen what they’re saying about you on
social media?  ‘Why does she wear a mask?’  ‘What does
she have to hide?’  ‘Is she still afraid of the Sabretooth virus?’
Never mind that you’re a ninja… and half the Legion wears
masks anyway…”

“Please don’t take this the wrong way,” Nina said, “but what
exactly is your interest in all of this?  It’s not that I don’t
appreciate your support.  It’s just… I don’t recall that we’ve
ever even met before.  What makes you think I’m the best
person to lead the Legion of Net.Heroes?”

“Because you actually care about the job.  And about the
Legion,” Cynical Lass said, her voice rising.  “Because
right now, everywhere, around the world, good people
are giving up on politics.  On democracy.  And when that
happens, the only people left who will be willing to lead
are demagogues – or power-tripping functionaries, like
that Pragmatic Reasons Lass.  Or worse.”

“Pragmatic Reasons Lass is a distinguished member
of the L…,” Ultimate Nina began, before her voice was
drowned out by a commotion outside the window.

“Someone is holding a press conference in front of
LNHQ,” said Sister State-the-Obvious, popping her
head into the office before disappearing again.

“I’ll close the blinds,” said Ultimate Nina, rising from
her chair.  “Wait…,” she said, staring at the
well-dressed man behind the podium.  “Is that…?”

“Hexadecimal Luthor!” gasped Cynical Lass.

“I thought he was… missing… on prehistoric
Earth since the end of Beige Midnight,”
Ultimate Nina said.

Cynical Lass and Ultimate Nina looked at each
Other.

“Comics,” they both groaned.

“What’s he saying?” Cynical Lass asked.  “I
don’t suppose you can read lips?”

“I can,” Ultimate Nina said.  “Or I could just turn
on the radio.  Since, you know, it’s a press
conference.”

“Mr. Luthor!  Mr. Luthor!  Jennifer Crenshaw,
Net.ropolis Observer.  What makes you think
you’re qualified to lead the LNH?”

The two women in the leadership office
looked at each other.

“Well,” Hex Luthor said, his mellifluous voice
coating every syllable like honeyed butterscotch,
“I did serve as President of the Loonited States.
As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if a
significant number of Legionnaires voted for me.
And would do so again.”

Everyone in the crowd turned to look at one of the
LNH members filling the sidewalk in front of the
headquarters building.

“What?” Bad Judgment Boy said.  “Look,
Ultimate Nina has been a good leader.  Maybe even
a great leader.  But I just heard she’s been using a
private server to send out her emails!  A private
e-mail server!  Is that really the kind of person we
want leading a massive, unlicensed army of
super-powerful vigilantes?  I think we should hear
what Hex has to say!”

“Mr. Luthor!  Miranda Overstock, Clickbait.com.
“Are you officially now a reformed super-villain?”

“Oh, Miss Overstock.  I was never a villain to
begin with. And the idea that I would bear some
kind of grudge against the Legion of Net.
Heroes just because they abandoned me to die
in the Cretaceous Period?  Simply absurd.  Of
course, if I was a member of the LNH and
had the purely ridiculous idea that I was cooking
up some kind of scheme to destroy them all,
well then I might just go ahead and vote for me,
just to keep a closer eye on what I’m doing.”

Cynical Lass turned from the spectacle outside
the window to look at Ultimate Nina, still
composed as ever but clearly deep in thought.

“Now do you want my help?” she asked.

Credits:

Ultimate Nina is created by Amabel Holland, based on a
concept by wReam.

Cynical Lass is created by Rob Rogers.

Only-Does-Good-Deeds-For-Pragmatic-Reasons Lass and Bad Judgment Boy are created by Arthur Spitzer.

Sister State-the-Obvious is created by wReam.

Hexadecimal Luthor is created by Chris Hare.

–Rob Rogers
–Easily-Discovered Man Lite of the LNH