LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #238: Just Another Multi-Writer Cascade that will Probably Never Have an Ending Part Four

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 19:55:52 PDT 2022

On 3/27/22 5:18 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:

<snip>
> In a distant universe, Doc Nostalgia and his arch-nemesis Mister
> Morrison popped out of a magic portal.  Doc Nostalgia said, "As you can
> see, I've survived this little Magical Mystery Tour challenge of yours.
>    I'm ready for you this time!"

I love that Scott decided to grab this loose end and move it forward. X>

> "Gah.  Duck.  You make this place uncomfortable for me.  Let it be
> known, I will return.  When I *feel* like it.  When the climate might be
> more comfortable."  Mister Morrison disappeared in a poof of DDT.

Heeheehee :>
> In finest LNH cascade tradition, all LNH cascades are now fair game.  Heh.

Heck yeah they are. :D

 > Usually, with Cat's formidable catalytic powers, she could get even Lethal
 > Lawyer to listen to this kind of talk with at least some interest, but Token
 > Girl had been inured to them by their long association, and she was always
 > more stubborn than average. Token Girl didn't care much about that kind of
 > thing. Well, not much. Anymore.  But this was one of those times when Cat was
 > getting into one of her obsessive shipper moods because she wanted to take her
 > mind off other things--like the fact they were going headlong into a cosmic
 > crisis, again--so she let her ramble on.

I think this is the point where Jeanne first established this relationship, and
it really does immediately feel like something that goes back to the early '90s. X>

> Token Girl rolled her eyes. "Tsundere isn't a thing in real life, Cat."
>
> "Well this isn't real life, Tara, we're superheroes!"

So adorable

 > "Yes! Ever since the Crisis on Infinite Earths, when DCU started
 > differentiating its core characters more and introducing more conflict between
 > them to fit the Marvel template, Batman has followed the classic tsundere
 > behavior pattern." Her face lit up and she started making animated hand
 > gestures. "With his friends and teammates, like Superman, his default
 > interactions are cold, aloof and hostile, but gradually he reveals his
 > vulnerabiliity and caring."

It's true and she should say it!!

 > "No, no, Batman can't be a tsundere. Tsundere are supposed to be cute anime
 > girls and Batman is a hot dad."

This is such a good line. X>

 > Traditionally, moe in anime fandom has been a part of the heterosexual male
 > gaze. But all kinds of readers feel "moe" feelings toward characters outside
 > of that. The highest degree of moe is for someone who seems on the surface to
 > be powerful, unapproachable, untouchable but has a deeply vulnerable core, and
 > they're lonely and isolated and you want to reach out and hug them a lot.
 > Batman is moe!"

YESSSSS. :D TELL IT, SISTER!

 > "Actually," said Adamant-Authority-On-Everything, "recent evidence has
 > suggested that the collapse on Easter Island was due to disease brought by the
 > Europeans and not--"
>
> "What the hell?" said Token Girl.
>
> "Oh," said Adamant-Authority-On-Everything. "I thought you were talking about moai."
>
> "Wait, how did you get in here?"
>
> "Well, they're not totally unrelated," said Catalyst Lass. "Matt Smith is pretty moe."
>
 > Token Girl sighed. "Boy," she said, "you sure do have some weird conversations
 > when you're in space."

ahhhhhhh so good |>

 > Her powers were both wide-ranging and very specific, and she had trouble
 > figuring out what to make of them. Technically, she could draw on any weapon
 > or artifact from any continuity she wasn't currently in, but in an LNH context
 > she had to respect copyright. The sheer options of what she could draw on were
 > a little daunting, though she had a fondness for classical mythology.

Yeah, it took me a while to get a handle on. X> Especially in Friendgame. I'm
retconning some of that weirdness by saying that her powers are increased in the
Friend Zone, due to its nature of connection.

 > She'd talked with Cheesecake-Eater Lad! Cheesecake-Eater Lad was literally
 > inside her! She didn't know how to feel about that.

X3

 > But there wasn't much for her to do out here but be awed by the pure immensity
 > of it all. For a long time, that was all she could think about--she was in
 > space! She was part of the LNH! But after several hours of sailing through
 > empty space, she started thinking about all the awkward things in her life.

That's familiar. X3

 > I was out of the universe for years, so my credit rating can't be good. But it
 > doesn't matter! I'm a net.hero now! And they usually make money... somehow...
 > I guess the LNH will give me a stipend. As soon as I actually join them. Which
 > should be any minute now.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine. X>

 > I just--I want to be with her more than anything. No, I want to be a hero more
 > than anything. I AM a hero. I've made it! But why did I have to kiss her?
 > She's basically the only friend I have right now, why did I have to make
 > things weird? Why do I have to keep going too far? I feel like I've had all
 > this potential that I couldn't get to because the world was holding me back,
 > and now it's all spilling out at once and I don't know what to do with it...

Ohhhhh, sweetie. ;-; Must hug.

 > As soon as she entered the building, she was almost knocked over by the
 > stampeding goths. She didn't want to fight them off. Or at least she knew she
 > shouldn't, although in fact she wanted to individually beat them all within an
 > inch of their lives.

Also relatable, from working with the public. X3

 > She smiled a crooked smile. "I'll bet you'd make a great goth. We could paint
 > our nails and then conquer the world!"

Merissa's just adorable. <3 Um, even when she's being terrible.

 > There was a titanic billboard, larger than the LNH logo, that said: "No-Duh:
 > It's a Soda!" What did that mean? It sounded like one of those terrible Mr.
 > Pakrika knock-offs they sold in grocery chains. Probably the LNHQ had just
 > been blown up again. Nothing to be too concerned about.
>
> She opened the door and walked in.
>
> YOU HAVE BEEN READING
> JUST ANOTHER MULTI-WRITER CASCADE THAT WILL NEVER HAVE AN ENDING #8
> AKA LOONIVERSE Y #15 PART 2
> by Adrian J. McClure

:D :D :D THAT'S SUCH A GOOD TITLE DROP

 > But he had to try. Because he was Atomic Rabbit, one of the greatest heroes of
 > the Tooniverse, and he would get that terrible duck if it was the last thing
 > he did.

AND THAT'S SUCH A GOOD POST CREDITS SCENE. :D

Drew "ahhhhh, we were on with this one" Nilium