JE: The Hermetic Garbage of Jenny Everywhere Act III, part II--note

Jeanne Morningstar mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 10:37:12 PST 2022

I'd intended to explain the history of the different public domain/open
source characters I'm using here a little more fully in the endnotes,
but this part of the story might require a little more
contextualization. So, an explanation for some of the more important
characters involved in this chapter:

Octobriana was a character created by Petr Sadecky, a Czech comics
writer/hoaxer who defected to West Germany during the Cold War. He
repurposed a character he'd come up with called Amazona as Octobriana,
the embodiment of the ideals of the Russian revolution. n his book
Octobriana and the Russian Underground, came up with an elaborate
mythology around her where she was the creation of the dissident
Communist organization Progressive Political Pornography, or PPP, who
made underground comics about her.

The story captured the imagination of the 70s counterculture; David
Bowie mentioned Octobriana and the Russian Underground as one of his
favorite books and Billy Idol had an Octobriana tattoo. Because she was
supposed to be the creation of an underground Communist organization,
she wasn't under copyright and appeared in a number of British comic,
notably Bryan Talbot's The Adventures of Luther Arkwright. Her existence
was part of the inspiration for creating Jenny Everywhere.

Trashman was an underground comics superhero created by American
underground cartoonist Spain Rodriguez who in a 1968 series of comic
strips in the influential counterculture alt-weekly the East Village
Other (which didn't have a proper copyright notice and was thus public
domain due to copyright law of the time). Trashman was the defender of
the working classes against a fascist government in a dystopian future,
who fought for the secret anarcho-Marxist organization the Sixth
International using their "para-sciences."

The Magician from Mars is a character created by John Giunta and Malcolm
Kildale who appeared in 1939's Amazing-Man comics, published by Centaur,
who gave the world a lot of oddball early heroes like the Fantom of the
Fair, Speed Centaur, the Eye (who is an actual floating eye, and
inspiration for my LNH20 character Private Eye) and so on. In her
original origin she was Jane GEM-35, daughter of a human and a Martian
who was given superpowers by a cathode ray that made her practically
omnipotent. Her enemies included an extradimensional demon elemental
which she banished with the power of music and the Hood, a crime lord
who was secretly her aunt. I threw her in here becuase her name and
concept kind of evokes 70s glam-rock sci-fi mythology.

People here presumably know who Stardust the Super-Wizard is because of
Wil Alambre's excellent The Super-Wizard from Space.

Lockjaw the Alligator was a funny-animal character crated by Joe Simon
and Jack Kirby in 1947's Punch and Judy Comics. I am one of the maybe 10
people who remembers he existed. I put him in because I wanted there to
be a Kirby character in this story.

Mary is a character whose early adventures are in the public domain but
who I won't fully name here because of the long series of lawsuits
around characters related to her.

Jeanne Morningstar