[ASH] Derek Radner's Private Journal #10 - "Who Wants To Rule The World?"

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 21:12:12 PDT 2022

On 6/29/22 6:19 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> [May 21, 2027 - Heavily encrypted file on an isolated terminal built from
> non-standard parts and hidden in a vault]

Oh, that's where I keep my porn

>       An eternity or ten years ago I considered the nature of conquerors, as
> an intellectual exericise.  But now that I have become one, if only over a
> small "rogue state," I clearly need to give the practical side of conquest
> more thought.

God. Reading Derek's way of expressing himself now, the only word I can find
is... *adorable*. He's a college freshman's idea of what a smart person sounds like.

>       Having grown as a person and a ruler since those youthful days of
> college, I have come to a conclusion about the traits one must possess in
> order to want to rule the world.  Not all are needed, but you need at least
> one of them.
>
>       1. Insanity.
>       2. Utter foolishness.
>       3. An unquenchable desire to save a world that doesn't want to be
> saved.

Heeheehee. You know, I was just re-reading the first couple arcs of Cable &
Deadpool, which were about that last one...

>       And that comes down to a fundamental issue that is necessary for any
> large state to function: trust.  And what does your average world-conquering
> villain have trouble with?  TRUST.

Mmmmmhm, mmmmmhm. You think you're better than everybody, well, there's a
problem or two with that...

>       How do you trust your underlings enough to actually run an empire when
> you built that empire on the breaking of existing social structures?

Yes indeed.

>       And, of course, no one has actually conquered the entire world, not
> really.  Despite the fears of conspiracy theorists in the 2000s, the super-
> state trend halted without creating a One World Government, and it has even
> reversed somewhat with the fracturing of China into three states.

I'd be really surprised if it didn't fracture more in the next few decades.

>       Do I really want to rule the world?  Is my ego so in need of massaging
> that I desire all who live to bend a knee?  On a bad day, perhaps.

I mean, relatable.

   Even the
> gods seem to want worship for itself, not just for whatever mystical benefits
> they may gain from it.  (Polla says her universe killed its gods, which seems
> like it was probably a good idea.)
>
>       So.  Getting back to my original points, as I've rambled enough and my
> private time is a precious resource.
>
>       A madman wants to rule the world because he is broken somehow.

Damn, pull quote.

> The power to keep everything running by force of
> will rivals that of the gods, and I've seen what happens to those who attract
> the jealous eye of those outside of time.

Very poetic.

>       A fool wants to rule the world because he thinks it will make his life
> better and easier.

And honestly, most fools just end up trying to get more and more because they
think it'll fix the ways they're broken, with control of everything the final
goal of those who could never be satisfied.

>       And lastly, he who would conquer the world because the WORLD is broken
> will find that the job never ends.

Like, guess what, the world is broken *mostly because of all the conquering* >:/
Dumbass.

>       I have decades left to me before vitality wanes.  I could still decide
> the world needs conquering, but for now I will try to be content with merely
> being one of the most powerful men in the world, with an unbelieveably hot
> wife and some great kids.  Frankly, college-me probably never thought he'd do
> so well.

Awwwww, it's nice to see someone realize how good what they've got is. <3

> Given that Derek's journal addressed the issue of conquerors
> already, I decided the next morning that this should be a "ten years later"
> journal entry, touching on some earlier topics but with the benefit of
> experience.

Very good stuff. |>

>       One of the themes that's been running through my later ASH writing is
> the idea that when the dog finally catches the car, what next?

Hell yeah. :D I love that shit.

Drew "so much good world-writing" Nilium