LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #225: LNH vII #50 The Conclusion

Jeanne Morningstar mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 20:35:08 PST 2021

Looking back at this issue, it reminds me a lot of 52 (which I reread
recnetly, and very much enjoyed all the non-Geoff Johns-y bits of). That
was a series written by a bunch of people with very distinctive creative
voices that somehow (well, Keith Giffen doing backgrounds through the
whole series helped, but) meshed into a cohesive whole. LNH v2 #50 was
similar. I know there were some bits that were attributed to other
people in previous discussions I'm pretty sure I wrote... but there are
also some bits where I have no idea who wrote them. I feel like we did a
good job all building on each other's strengths as writers; I know
working with Rob and Saxon really helped me level up.

I know the epilogue scenes were me and Drew. Those were written at the
end of 2014, coming off the high of the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers
ending (a series that played a huge role in me realizing I was queer).
That's where the whole anniversary party aspect came from.

Someday I really have to address Time Crapper IV getting married to
Betamax in the future (a Doctor Who-inspired bit, of course). Maybe
after I tackle a few of the other loose ends that I have floating around.

"This was supposed to celebrate everything that was great about the LNH
so we could go forward into a new era. Instead, it just about destroyed
us."--that line was of course me putting in my feelings about the
writing process. In the end, though, this story really did set up a new
era, with lots of stuff that played out in narratively rewarding ways--
the return of Halls and Cliche, Toony's definitively drawing a line
under his life as a net.hero, and especially Captain LNH and expanding
the overall mythology of Vector.

We were able to make the best of the frustrating circumstances behind
this issue, because it meant that LNH would have to leave behind a lot
of its past stock elements and find new stories, and by the end we were
already starting to build them. It really laid the seeds for the current
core LNH which is always dynamic and evolving, like the Claremont X-Men
in its prime. I'm very proud of this issue in the end, where it landed
thematically and emotionally and what it did for the LNH.

And I get a big smile out of seeing the credits list at the end.

Oh, and "Jump" by Kriss Kross was an in joke on my part--it was the
number one hit the week the first LNH post was made.

Jeanne Morningstar