LNH/LNH20/JE/8FOLD/MISC/PRECOG: State of the Jeanne

Jeanne Morningstar mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 10:31:05 PST 2021

STATE OF THE JEANNE

Valerie Halla, an artist I follow on Patreon, has recently been doing
process posts about her ongoing projects and how they've developed.
She's been very open about the difficulty of keeping up her original
ambitious plans and adjusting her projects to things she can actually
finish, and I find that super relatable.

There's a real struggle for ADHD/autistic/otherwise brainweird creators
where we keep starting new projects, getting super excited about them,
burning out completely and then only being able to get back onboard by
starting a new project, where the cycle continues. I've been slowly
learning better to manage that, but it's been a real struggle what with
juggling that with writing for my academic career and wrestling with the
academic job market, which is a whole other job in and of itself.
There's also winter depression, COVID depression, politics depression,
trans depression... So yeah.

But! I've been gradually getting better and better at this. Writing The
Hermetic Garbage of Jenny Everywhere has been a real turning point in
terms of just being able to Get Stuff Done on a consistent level. I'm
hoping that, whatever happens in the world/my life, I'll be able to
carry this forward into the new year.

And I've really been encouraged by the little burst of activity we're
having now. It's exciting to have new posts from Dave Van Domelen,
Amabel Holland and Ben Rawluk again, even as I'm still so busy it's hard
to keep up.

So with that in mind, I'm going to do a brief inventory of my own on the
various RACC stories I started, where I'm going with them and how soon
they'll (probably) get done.

THE HERMETIC GARBAGE OF JENNY EVERYWHERE:

This is my current #1 priority and it's been amazing in terms of
progress. My big reason for writing this was to learn to just keep
writing consistently no matter what, and it's worked. I have a backlog
of posts because I have stretches where I write a bunch at once, and
that allows me to revise it a little bit as necessary. The story as a
whole is currently 5/6 or so done, I'm hammering out the climax of it
right now.

HUNGRY, HUNGRY SABERTOOTHS:

This is also slowly but surely getting closer to done. Drew and I are
working out how to do the ending, refining ideas we've had earlier. It's
been hard to figure out how to satisfyingly end a story that began as a
reflection of the general state of the world when it's been spiraling so
much out of control, but we have a good idea of the general shape of it now.

THE LIMINALS:

The next issue of The Liminals is mostly written and will go out
whenever HHS is done (because I don't want to mess up the timeline even
more than it already was).

VICTORY:

This is probably the series I'll get back to soonest. Writing the next
couple issues has been hard for the exact reasons it's important to me:
it gets into deep feelings about being queer and trans and about
superhero stories. It took a while to figure out how to write this issue
in a way that worked, but now I have. I will get the next few issues out
whenever I get to a lull in my work load.

LNH20/JUST IMAGINE/ULTIMATE MERCENARY:

After finishing HHS, Drew and I mean to take a crack at finshing the
Spoon of Destiny saga and Just Imagine at long last, as part of a big
initiative I like to call "LNH20+10: You Can (Not) Finish the Story".
The final issues of Spoon and Destiny are partially written. I also will
be working on wrapping up Ultimate Mercenary's story with an
appropriately titled limited series called "The Last Days of Ultimate
Mercenary," which will be written in short and frequent posts similarly
to THGJE. It will finally wrap up his story after, Jesus Christ, almost
20 years.

As for the present and future of LNH20, well, that's all very up in the
air. I know Drew has ideas about how to wrap up the Age of WHATEVER arc,
but we'll see how that all turns out in the end. LNH20 was heavily
planned out in its early stages and then we collectively switched to
playing it by ear when that didn't work out. I honestly think that's
part of why LNH20 is so fun right now--after all this time, it's still
in the process of discovering itself.

CHICKS IN SPACE/RETCON YEAR:

Both of these stories I have really fun ideas for and want to get back
to, but it might be a while because well, you can see I have a lot of
stuff on my plate both in and out of LNH. Luckily, they both should be
easier now that I'm used to writing in the structure of writing in
shorter bursts.

TERRA ALTER:

The story will conclude for now in backup stories in upcoming issues of
Victory, after which I have a couple other ideas for how to continue it.
Likely it'll be in self-contained shorter stories which add up to a
greater whole.

STAR CROSSED:

IDK if anyone other than me even remembers this, but those characters
mean a lot to to me, so it will exist definitely in some form. But it
probably won't be called that anymore. There are now too many stories
using that title. Ah well.

LNHY/DEATH OF TROPHY WIFE:

God only knows where this is going. Well, He doesn't, because He's dead.
I know Drew has some other partially written issues. My feeling is when
this story is over, that should be the end of LNHY, and it works better
as a story with a definitive end. But... Anything's possible, I guess.
Even finishing off Death of Trophy Wife.

Besides all this, I have other stories that may or may not end up being
posted here, but I'll wait to say anything about that until I can do
that. For now, I just want to thank everyone who's still writing and
posting here.

Jeanne Morningstar