LNH/LNH20: Hungry, Hungry Sabertooths #6

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 12:38:06 PDT 2020

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 7:01:45 PM UTC-7, Drew Perron wrote:
> On 10/27/20 11:10 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 6:44:39 PM UTC-7, Jeanne Morningstar wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Then Nina saw an image from the Real World. In 2016, right after the
> >> election, a right-wing media personality had been bloviating when a man
> >> dressed in a black mask rushed in an punched him. He struck swiftly and
> >> was gone. Like a ninja.
> >
> > Don't think this scene quite works though.  I mean I think for it to work you'd
> > need a scene after it like showing some writer writing these words into a
> > computer since that's how these ideas exist in our world.  Maybe the
> > Ultimate Ninja is like a virus and everyone that reads these words becomes
> > infected with a small fragment of the Ultimate Ninja.
>
> "The saber in your hand/
> Is a pen to write it down/
> Words to save this world..."
> ALMIGHTY ~ Kamen no Yakusoku, by the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra with Yoohei
> Kawakami
>
> In other words, it's not just that words express ideas that can inspire action;
> we can express ideas directly thru action. The sword can be the pen. And in this
> case, a man punching a Nazi can express the idea of Ultimate Ninja, a symbol of
> resistance.
>
> The original ninja, in the Iga and Koga provinces of Japan, were rural farmers
> who used guerilla warfare for self-preservation and independence from the
> oppressive regime of the samurai. And some of what I just said is true, and some
> is historical legend - to be honest I've been doing some research and it's
> *really* hard to tease out which is which - but either way, it's a powerful
> idea. And I think it makes sense for an idea to ascend, not just directly thru
> our stories, but from the everyday actions we take in this world.
>
> Drew "if that makes *any* sense at all" Nilium

I get that it was reference to Captain America punching Hitler.  And I don't
have a problem with horrible people getting punched.

But the Ultimate Ninja is kind of a fascist authoritarian who will do whatever
horrible acts it takes to win.  That is kind of his character.  He was a parody
of all those 90s isn't murdering people kewl characters and he's a fun
character to write because of that -- but in the real world he'd deserve
a long time in jail for all antics.

And I'm not saying that it was a bad story decision to send him.  But maybe
everyone should have had some doubt about whether or not this was the
best way or only way they should have handled this.

That's all I'm saying.

But I did notice that they were making these decisions on Neme.sys so
maybe that explains some of their complete sureness.

Also punching is not really the Ultimate Ninja's style.

Arthur "Too soft..." Spitzer