LNH/LNH20: Hungry, Hungry Sabertooths #6

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 19:01:43 PDT 2020

On 10/27/20 11:10 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
> On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 6:44:39 PM UTC-7, Jeanne Morningstar wrote:
<snip>
>> Then Nina saw an image from the Real World. In 2016, right after the
>> election, a right-wing media personality had been bloviating when a man
>> dressed in a black mask rushed in an punched him. He struck swiftly and
>> was gone. Like a ninja.
>
> Don't think this scene quite works though.  I mean I think for it to work you'd
> need a scene after it like showing some writer writing these words into a
> computer since that's how these ideas exist in our world.  Maybe the
> Ultimate Ninja is like a virus and everyone that reads these words becomes
> infected with a small fragment of the Ultimate Ninja.

"The saber in your hand/
Is a pen to write it down/
Words to save this world..."
ALMIGHTY ~ Kamen no Yakusoku, by the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra with Yoohei
Kawakami

In other words, it's not just that words express ideas that can inspire action;
we can express ideas directly thru action. The sword can be the pen. And in this
case, a man punching a Nazi can express the idea of Ultimate Ninja, a symbol of
resistance.

The original ninja, in the Iga and Koga provinces of Japan, were rural farmers
who used guerilla warfare for self-preservation and independence from the
oppressive regime of the samurai. And some of what I just said is true, and some
is historical legend - to be honest I've been doing some research and it's
*really* hard to tease out which is which - but either way, it's a powerful
idea. And I think it makes sense for an idea to ascend, not just directly thru
our stories, but from the everyday actions we take in this world.

Drew "if that makes *any* sense at all" Nilium