LNH: Hungry, Hungry Sabertooths! #4

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 10:26:36 PDT 2020

On 10/14/20 11:03 AM, Jeanne Morningstar wrote:
> "This is Alpha Niner, I'm coming in!" said Cliche Dude into the comms. "Over!"
>
> At the moment, most of the LNH was quarantined in their rooms--especially the
> ones who could be very dangerous if they were sabertoothed, like Merissa--until
> Dr. Stomper could develop a state-of-the-art anti-sabertooth serum (try saying
> that five times fast).

> Unfortunately, when the virus had broken out, Dr. Stomper
> had been exploring the Deep Omnilooniverse where he'd been stranded by someone
> who impersonated Cliche Dude and then suddenly had a burst of heroism and
> sacrificed his life to save him.

This Cliche, This Guy Named Chris!

> Patrols of power-armored kiwis were taking care of the rest of the LNHQ.

X3 That's great

> The problem was the entrance to the
> sub-basements. Everyone knew that when you went deep enough, the sub-basements
> opened up to other worlds. Sometimes, monsters and fantasy creatures got
> through. So what happened when one of *them* got infected by the virus?

ooooooooh. Very thoughtful.

> "That's not bad, though," said Halls. "Sometimes cliches are cliches for a
> reason, you know?"  Cliche Dude beamed from ear to ear.

d'awwwww

> "Don't forget the Vampire Kiwi Incident of 2014," said Captain Cleanup.
>
> "We don't talk about that," said Token Girl.

X3 X3 X3 Love it

> Unfortunately, it was necessary to bring out both the LNH's custodians, since
> the sabertooths weren't exactly litter trained. Halls Jordan and Captain Cleanup
> were having a competition over  which would have the biggest pile of sabertooth
> poop. There was a reason usually wasn't put on the same mission.

omfg that's astounding. This is such a good concept.

> Suddenly, they saw a movement in the shadows. "Sabertooth! Sabertooth!" growled
> one of the sabertooths,

XD XD XD omg I love that!

> "Taste the fire of retribution, foul felid!" shouted Marvel Zombie Girl,
> blasting it with the FIre that Sears Men's Soles while Token Girl struck with
> her power-loader fist.

yessssss :D

> 90s Comics Kid (the alternate-future son of Old Comics
> Man, from a Deep Omnilooniverse Earth where the Dorf invasion of 2012 had
> succeeded and all that remained of Earth culture was a cache of 90s comics
> hidden in the impenetrable sanctuary of a collector) took out his massive
> Liefeldian tranq gun and shot it down,

This is one of the best parenthetical asides I've ever seen

> Suddenly Cliche Dude started hyperventilating.
>
> "Are you OK?" said Halls.
>
> "That's my line! Meow!" said Cliche Dude.
>
> "Meow?" said Captain Cleanup.
>
> "They got me," said Cliche Dude, taking off his helmet and revealing cat ears.
> "They got me! It's too late! Halls, you have to kill me before I change!"

oh my god XD XD XD

> "It's okay," said Halls Jordan, scritching Cliche Dude behind the ears. He purred.

oh my GOD XD ^..............^ XD

> "Hmm," said Captain Cleanup. "It's possible that Cliche Dude's dog-based nature
> is helping him resist the cat-based infection." Cliche Dude had been raised by a
> pack of wild golden retrievers.

XD XD XD This is complete nonsense and yet somehow it fits perfectly.

> "Then--we might be able to use his blood to produce an antibody to the cat
> infection!" said Marvel Zombie Girl.
>
> "Where exactly did this storyline come from?" growled Captain Cleanup.

Yeah, that sounds familiar somehow X3

> "King Tiger? What's that?" said Halls Jordan.
>
> "The martial arts hero from Dark Horse's Comics Greatest World! Voted the
> seventh most collectible universe of 1993 by Wizard Magazine!"
>
> "Can't remember it," said Token Girl.

XD Amazing

> "Wait, didn't they have an Ultraman pastiche?" said Halls. "Hero Zero? That was
> kind of ahead of its time, I guess. Does the Legion have an Ultraman pastiche?"

Look, I'm working on it *shoves pile of paper into closet labeled 'In-Progress
Tokusatsu Pastiches' into the closet and pushes it closed*

> "Sabertooth! Sabertooth!" growled the giant sabertooth. It reared up, breaking
> through the walls, knocking the LNHers over and charging out into the city of
> Net.ropolis.
>
> And on the sidelines, a lone kiwi watched. It began to glow in a radiant light,
> slowly expanding as armor formed around it. "ULTRA-KIWI!" bellowed Ultra-Kiwi,
> and followed the giant sabertooth.

Oh my GOD XD XD XD This is absolutely the best thing ever

> And unknown to all of them, they were being watched by  a suspiciously normal
> vending machine. This was VEN-DORR, the Soda Machine that Walked, er, Rolled
> like a Man [introduced in "Ven-Dorr, The Soda Machine That Walked, er, Rolled
> Like a Man!"--FG]--rebuilt and sent to spy on the LNHQ by the Trans-Pacific
> Plunderbund!

GASP! Also oh my god! XD <3 This is so many good things

> Sitting on her throne of 40s crime comics in her West Coast headquarters, the
> Crime Empress watched the communications from the agent she'd designated "Fanta
> Source" on her swank, gold-bordered viewscreen. She wore a sparkly black
> sequined dress and a large top hat with the word "CRIME" written on it.

FUCK YEAH THE CRIME EMPRESS. :D

> "So the LNHQ is already under attack?" said Lucky Chain Letter Lucy, who stood
> at the right hand of her throne--the ambitious low-level net.villain formerly of
> the Seven Deadly Spammers, who was becoming the Queen's favorite. (That was how
> people referred to her, it apparently had connotations.)

Her consort, if you will. :3

> "I know who it was," said the Crime Empress. "This is the work of the East Coast
> Brotherhood. The sabertooth virus bears all the hallmarks of Dr. Killfile II.
> She is someone who is descended from a cat an and elf [this is absolutely real
> Teenfactor canon, and makes zero sense, so we're keeping it--Footnote GIrl],
> which aids her in communicating with and controlling cats. She's using the
> sabertooths to stage an invasion of the LNHQ."

OF COURSE. :D I love it

> The attempt to summon an army of demons from
> Looniverse-Yaldabaoth may have failed,

I know what this is about :D

> but I've found a group of beings who are
> ideal for our purposes. They should be easy for me to communicate with--they're
> fellow Vectors, after all."

DUN DU DUNNNN...

> She pressed a button on her throne and the view changed to a stargate in an
> underground room, with a huge machine hooked to it, manned by the kind of
> generic non-super scientists any decently sized criminal organization has on its
> payroll.

Oh, yeah, we've got one in the basement but you need to put in quarters so it's
a hassle

> Some time ago [Mutton Mania again--Footnote Girl], a villain called the
> Sheepshagger had created a weapon which transformed people into sheep. Ultimate
> Mercenary and his allies, traveling through time and space, had brought along
> several clones of the Vector virus--the very same living virus that had served
> as original template for the Crime Empress, as well as the LNH's most radicool
> young heroine, Merissa--which had then been exposed to the net.god OMAR's
> trollistic energies and been transformed into Vector-troll-sheep. Net.Access had
> been able to defeat them by exiling them to the far-off newsgroup of
> alt.alien.sheep.baa.baa.baa, and that had been the end. Until now. [Ultimate
> Mercenary v1 #7]
>
> A green mass of wrathful sheep marched through the portal.
>
> BAAA, they said.

I've wanted to do something with this for so long and I'm so happy :D :D :D

> And in the Hot Topic sanctum of the abandoned mall headquarters of the East
> Coast Brotherhood, Mr. Homage (secretly possessed by Anti-Christ Lad) looked
> into his view screen (a widescreen TV that had been salvaged from an Applebees)
> and smiled.

yessssss. Now bring in Erik the Red!

> He was the leader of the East Coast Brotherhood. The West Coast Brotherhood, now
> called the Trans-Pacific Plunderbund, was a large and structured organization
> that moved freely on the West Coast, where there were fewer net.heroes, except
> on the weeks when Net.ropolis decided to be there. Since following superhero
> story precedent Net.ropolis mostly stayed on the East Coast, the East Coast
> Brotherhood had to work right under the net.heroes' noses.

I love making that explicit :D :D :D

> They moved in silence
> and the shadows, a small team with few resources but tight-knit and disciplined
> --as disciplined as you could possibly make a team of net.villains, since
> leading them was a bit like herding the proverbial cats, though the actual
> cat-herding part of their current plan was working just fine so far.

XD XD XD

> "You're not worried about the Crime Empress?" said Polybag Person.
>
> "Oh no. See, the point of this plot was never to go after the LNH. We all know
> it'd take a lot more than just dropping another kind of animal in the LNHQ to
> get rid of them. No, the point was to lay a trap for the Crime Empress, and she
> just took the bait..."

DUN DUN DUNNNNN...

> And elsewhere, in a hidden pocket dimension, another figure watched Mr. Homage
> (possessed by Anti-Christ Lad) watching the Crime Empress watching the stargate.
> They were wearing an absolutely hideous plaid armor that would cause fashion
> designers to spontaneously combust.
>
> "And while the two Brotherhoods make war, I will move in the shadows and strike
> down them both--I, Erik the Plaid, leader of the Midwest Brotherhood of Evil
> Net.Villains!"

OH MY GOD YOU DID IT. :D YOU WONDERFUL BASTARD

(Erik the Plaid, also known as Plaid the Impaler...)

> And elsewhere, in a blank white endless void, a stick figure watched Erik the
> Plaid watching Mr. Homage (possessed by Anti-Christ Lad) watching the Crime
> Empress watching the stargate on his minimally drawn television on his minimally
> drawn couch.

oh my god. XD XD XD

> "That does it!" said Simplicity, banging his fist (a circle) down on the couch.
> "This is just like all those other cascades. First, Arthur writes a silly thing,
> then Drew kind of builds on that silliness, then Jeanne Morningstar comes in and
> drops this 500-pound anvil of continuity and metaplot. Well I have had enough!
> This ends now!"

XD XD XD it's truuuuuue

> Simplicity headed through the secret roads of time and space, for Jeanne
> Morningstar's apartment.

OH MY GOD X3

> Hmm, I wonder how I'll end this issue," they pondered.
> "Maybe Simplicity would appear out of nowhere and try to kill me... no, that'd
> be too obvious."
>
> Suddenly, Simplicity appeared out of nowhere.

heeheehee

> "That does it! I have had it up to
> here with you overcomplicating all the plots! I am tired of you starting stories
> and never finishing them!"
>
> "Look, we had an entire story about why that was OK," said Jeanne. [Just Another
> Cascade.GEKIJOBAN]

yessssssss it's true :D

> Jeanne deflected it with their Chainsword [last seen in
> the now-classic RACCAFE: Writefail]. They had had a substantial gender epiphany
> since then so they could now access their magical girl form. They pressed a
> button on the side of the chainsword, and the chains shredded their clothing,
> surrounded them with sparkles, and transformed them into some kind of magical
> girl version of Spawn.

This is THE BEST THING. :D :D :D <3 <3 <3

> Suddenly, a force field stopped Simplicity in his tracks. "No!" said an echoing
> metallic voice. "Jeanne Morningstar must lived! I will make sure they survive to
> write another issue of Retcon Year--and if they do not, I have sworn to kill
> them myself. I--DOCTOR DREADED DEADLINE DOOM!" [Last seen in Liminals #3.5]
>
> "Yikes," said Jeanne Morningstar.

OF COURSE >:D >:D >:D

> The quarantine element was the
> one thing I decided to keep from the Real World because exploring how LNHers
> deal with quarantine could be fun and characterful.

Yes! <3 The good shit.

> The Crime Empress's Crime Hat was inspired by Mr. Crime, the mascot of the first
> crime comic series, Crime Does Not Pay. That's a lot of crime. You can read it
> here: https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=869

Drew "I love Mr. Crime" Nilium