LNH: Hungry, Hungry Sabertooths! #4

Jeanne Morningstar mrfantastic7 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 08:03:15 PDT 2020

"This is Alpha Niner, I'm coming in!" said Cliche Dude into the comms.
"Over!"

At the moment, most of the LNH was quarantined in their
rooms--especially the ones who could be very dangerous if they were
sabertoothed, like Merissa--until Dr. Stomper could develop a
state-of-the-art anti-sabertooth serum (try saying that five times
fast). Unfortunately, when the virus had broken out, Dr. Stomper had
been exploring the Deep Omnilooniverse where he'd been stranded by
someone who impersonated Cliche Dude and then suddenly had a burst of
heroism and sacrificed his life to save him. But he was still trapped on
the other side of the portal at the moment, along with Multi-Tasking
Man, and his assistant Sister State-the-Obvious was picking up MTM's
slack and running the comms from his lab.

Patrols of power-armored kiwis were taking care of the rest of the LNHQ.
That shouldn't be too hard to deal with. The problem was the entrance to
the sub-basements. Everyone knew that when you went deep enough, the
sub-basements opened up to other worlds. Sometimes, monsters and fantasy
creatures got through. So what happened when one of *them* got infected
by the virus? A small platoon of power-armored LNHers had been sent in
to watch over the entrances to the sub-basements, as well as cleaning up
after the sabertooths' mess

"I can't believe it," said Token GIrl. She was wearing a suit of powered
armor reminiscent of Ripley's power loader in Aliens (tm and c Disney).
"This whole scenario is a total cliche."

"That's not bad, though," said Halls. "Sometimes cliches are cliches for
a reason, you know?"  Cliche Dude beamed from ear to ear.

  "It feels like the LNH is always getting invaded by something. First
it was the kiwis. Then it was the sheep. [see Mutton Mania--Footnote
Girl] Then it was the Mini-Balrogs [see Liminals #3]. And now...
sabertooths!"

"Don't forget the Vampire Kiwi Incident of 2014," said Captain Cleanup.

"We don't talk about that," said Token Girl.

Unfortunately, it was necessary to bring out both the LNH's custodians,
since the sabertooths weren't exactly litter trained. Halls Jordan and
Captain Cleanup were having a competition over  which would have the
biggest pile of sabertooth poop. There was a reason usually wasn't put
on the same mission.

They found a pile of sabertooth spoor near the sub-basement doors. Halls
Jordan took out his power-armored pooper scooper. "Why do I have to
clean up all this mess," said Halls Jordan.

"Because you're one of the LNH's two custodians," said Sister
State-the-Obvious, from the other side of the comm in Dr. Stomper's lab.

"It's a dirty job... but someone's gotta do it!" said Cliche Dude.
Suddenly, they saw a movement in the shadows. "Sabertooth! Sabertooth!"
growled one of the sabertooths, slashing at Cliche Dude's arm before
Captain Cleanup could knock it away with his mop.

"Taste the fire of retribution, foul felid!" shouted Marvel Zombie Girl,
blasting it with the FIre that Sears Men's Soles while Token Girl struck
with her power-loader fist. 90s Comics Kid (the alternate-future son of
Old Comics Man, from a Deep Omnilooniverse Earth where the Dorf invasion
of 2012 had succeeded and all that remained of Earth culture was a cache
of 90s comics hidden in the impenetrable sanctuary of a collector) took
out his massive Liefeldian tranq gun and shot it down, while Halls
Jordan held it within a power bubble. They'd take it to the lab for Dr.
Stomper to study, as soon as he got back.

Suddenly Cliche Dude started hyperventilating.

"Are you OK?" said Halls.

"That's my line! Meow!" said Cliche Dude.

"Meow?" said Captain Cleanup.

"They got me," said Cliche Dude, taking off his helmet and revealing cat
ears. "They got me! It's too late! Halls, you have to kill me before I
change!"

"It's okay," said Halls Jordan, scritching Cliche Dude behind the ears.
He purred.

"Hmm," said Captain Cleanup. "It's possible that Cliche Dude's dog-based
nature is helping him resist the cat-based infection." Cliche Dude had
been raised by a pack of wild golden retrievers. The identity of his
true parents was unknown.

"Then--we might be able to use his blood to produce an antibody to the
cat infection!" said Marvel Zombie Girl.

"Where exactly did this storyline come from?" growled Captain Cleanup.

"I think it's a riff on Tiger King. You know, that hip Netflix thing,"
said Token Girl.

"What? They made a show of King Tiger?" said 90s Comics Lad.

"King Tiger? What's that?" said Halls Jordan.

"The martial arts hero from Dark Horse's Comics Greatest World! Voted
the seventh most collectible universe of 1993 by Wizard Magazine!"

"Can't remember it," said Token Girl.

"Wait, didn't they have an Ultraman pastiche?" said Halls. "Hero Zero?
That was kind of ahead of its time, I guess. Does the Legion have an
Ultraman pastiche?"

"Don't think so. We really should--"

"No--it can't be!" shouted Marvel Zombie girl. A sabertooth had stepped
out of the shadows, and it was growing.

"By the pouches of Prophet!" said 90s Comics Lad.

"What the hell is going on?" said Token Girl into the comm.

"The Sabertooth is now growing to giant size," said Sister State-the
Obvious.

"Why?" shouted Token Girl.

"We're not sure," said Sister State-the-Obvious.

"Could be residual interdimensional radiation from this area, could be
it's infected a Kaiju who wandered in from rec.arts.movies.b-movies.
Hope it's the former," said Halls Jordan.

"Sabertooth! Sabertooth!" growled the giant sabertooth. It reared up,
breaking through the walls, knocking the LNHers over and charging out
into the city of Net.ropolis.

And on the sidelines, a lone kiwi watched. It began to glow in a radiant
light, slowly expanding as armor formed around it. "ULTRA-KIWI!"
bellowed Ultra-Kiwi, and followed the giant sabertooth.

And unknown to all of them, they were being watched by  a suspiciously
normal vending machine. This was VEN-DORR, the Soda Machine that Walked,
er, Rolled like a Man [introduced in "Ven-Dorr, The Soda Machine That
Walked, er, Rolled Like a Man!"--FG]--rebuilt and sent to spy on the
LNHQ by the Trans-Pacific Plunderbund!

Sitting on her throne of 40s crime comics in her West Coast
headquarters, the Crime Empress watched the communications from the
agent she'd designated "Fanta Source" on her swank, gold-bordered
viewscreen. She wore a sparkly black sequined dress and a large top hat
with the word "CRIME" written on it.

"So the LNHQ is already under attack?" said Lucky Chain Letter Lucy, who
stood at the right hand of her throne--the ambitious low-level
net.villain formerly of the Seven Deadly Spammers, who was becoming the
Queen's favorite. (That was how people referred to her, it apparently
had connotations.)

"I know who it was," said the Crime Empress. "This is the work of the
East Coast Brotherhood. The sabertooth virus bears all the hallmarks of
Dr. Killfile II. She is someone who is descended from a cat an and elf
[this is absolutely real Teenfactor canon, and makes zero sense, so
we're keeping it--Footnote GIrl], which aids her in communicating with
and controlling cats. She's using the sabertooths to stage an invasion
of the LNHQ."

"So now what?"

"We have not, yet, been able to build much of a presence on the East
Coast or move directly against the LNH. But now, with the East Coast
Brotherhood and the LNH distracted by each other, is our time to strike.
I've already developed a countermeasure for the sabertooths. The attempt
to summon an army of demons from Looniverse-Yaldabaoth may have failed,
but I've found a group of beings who are ideal for our purposes. They
should be easy for me to communicate with--they're fellow Vectors, after
all."

She pressed a button on her throne and the view changed to a stargate in
an underground room, with a huge machine hooked to it, manned by the
kind of generic non-super scientists any decently sized criminal
organization has on its payroll. The stargate shimmered and opened up
onto a pastoral landscape.

Some time ago [Mutton Mania again--Footnote Girl], a villain called the
Sheepshagger had created a weapon which transformed people into sheep.
Ultimate Mercenary and his allies, traveling through time and space, had
brought along several clones of the Vector virus--the very same living
virus that had served as original template for the Crime Empress, as
well as the LNH's most radicool young heroine, Merissa--which had then
been exposed to the net.god OMAR's trollistic energies and been
transformed into Vector-troll-sheep. Net.Access had been able to defeat
them by exiling them to the far-off newsgroup of
alt.alien.sheep.baa.baa.baa, and that had been the end. Until now.
[Ultimate Mercenary v1 #7]

A green mass of wrathful sheep marched through the portal.

BAAA, they said.

And in the Hot Topic sanctum of the abandoned mall headquarters of the
East Coast Brotherhood, Mr. Homage (secretly possessed by Anti-Christ
Lad) looked into his view screen (a widescreen TV that had been salvaged
from an Applebees) and smiled.

He was the leader of the East Coast Brotherhood. The West Coast
Brotherhood, now called the Trans-Pacific Plunderbund, was a large and
structured organization that moved freely on the West Coast, where there
were fewer net.heroes, except on the weeks when Net.ropolis decided to
be there. Since following superhero story precedent Net.ropolis mostly
stayed on the East Coast, the East Coast Brotherhood had to work right
under the net.heroes' noses. They moved in silence and the shadows, a
small team with few resources but tight-knit and disciplined --as
disciplined as you could possibly make a team of net.villains, since
leading them was a bit like herding the proverbial cats, though the
actual cat-herding part of their current plan was working just fine so far.

"You're not worried about the Crime Empress?" said Polybag Person.

"Oh no. See, the point of this plot was never to go after the LNH. We
all know it'd take a lot more than just dropping another kind of animal
in the LNHQ to get rid of them. No, the point was to lay a trap for the
Crime Empress, and she just took the bait..."

And elsewhere, in a hidden pocket dimension, another figure watched Mr.
Homage (possessed by Anti-Christ Lad) watching the Crime Empress
watching the stargate. They were wearing an absolutely hideous plaid
armor that would cause fashion designers to spontaneously combust.

"And while the two Brotherhoods make war, I will move in the shadows and
strike down them both--I, Erik the Plaid, leader of the Midwest
Brotherhood of Evil Net.Villains!"

And elsewhere, in a blank white endless void, a stick figure watched
Erik the Plaid watching Mr. Homage (possessed by Anti-Christ Lad)
watching the Crime Empress watching the stargate on his minimally drawn
television on his minimally drawn couch. This was Simplicity, the cosmic
embodiment of simplicity. (he preferred to keep things simple)

"That does it!" said Simplicity, banging his fist (a circle) down on the
couch. "This is just like all those other cascades. First, Arthur writes
a silly thing, then Drew kind of builds on that silliness, then Jeanne
Morningstar comes in and drops this 500-pound anvil of continuity and
metaplot. Well I have had enough! This ends now!"

Simplicity headed through the secret roads of time and space, for Jeanne
Morningstar's apartment.

Jeanne Morningstar tapped away at their laptop in their apartment, which
was full of cat hair which could probably be use to be vacuumed up but
they were writing LNH instead. "Hmm, I wonder how I'll end this issue,"
they pondered. "Maybe Simplicity would appear out of nowhere and try to
kill me... no, that'd be too obvious."

Suddenly, Simplicity appeared out of nowhere. "That does it! I have had
it up to here with you overcomplicating all the plots! I am tired of you
starting stories and never finishing them!"

"Look, we had an entire story about why that was OK," said Jeanne. [Just
Another Cascade.GEKIJOBAN]

"I don't care!" said Simplicity. "You keep dropping in more and more
Claremontian unresolved subplots! Setting up crossovers and big stories
you never write! Constructing elaborate plots and then completely
derailing them for bizarre lesbian shipping! I'm tired!" Simplicity
struck at Jeanne Morningstar with his flaming sword. Jeanne deflected it
with their Chainsword [last seen in the now-classic RACCAFE: Writefail].
They had had a substantial gender epiphany since then so they could now
access their magical girl form. They pressed a button on the side of the
chainsword, and the chains shredded their clothing, surrounded them with
sparkles, and transformed them into some kind of magical girl version of
Spawn. The power of the Chainsword as a continuity callback, to a story
that wasn't in continuity even, helped counteract Simplicity's power.
But, as cosmically powered as their chainsword was, it could not match
the power of Simplicity's flaming stick-figure sword, and they were
pressed down to the ground.

Suddenly, a force field stopped Simplicity in his tracks. "No!" said an
echoing metallic voice. "Jeanne Morningstar must lived! I will make sure
they survive to write another issue of Retcon Year--and if they do not,
I have sworn to kill them myself. I--DOCTOR DREADED DEADLINE DOOM!"
[Last seen in Liminals #3.5]

"Yikes," said Jeanne Morningstar.

=====

Notes:

The goal of this issue was to throw in as many fun plot hooks that
people could build on as I can. The Brotherhood War is a storyline
that's been building for a good long time so I decided to throw it in
here. The quarantine element was the one thing I decided to keep from
the Real World because exploring how LNHers deal with quarantine could
be fun and characterful.

The split between the East Coast and West Coast Brotherhood was first
established by Arthur Spitzer in LNH v2 #41. Drew Nilium expanded and
reimagined the West Coast Brotherhood as the Trans-Pacific Plunderbund
in System Corrupters #33 and I revamped the East Coast Brotherhood in SC
#34-35. The war between the two Brotherhoods is a plot that's been
building for some time so I threw it in here because why not, really.

The Crime Empress's Crime Hat was inspired by Mr. Crime, the mascot of
the first crime comic series, Crime Does Not Pay. That's a lot of crime.
You can read it here: https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=869

Cliche Dude and Halls Jordan: Jef Kolodziej
Dr. Stomper: T.M. Neeck
Multi-Tasking Man: Jeff Coleburn
Sister State-the-Obvious: wReam
Token Girl: Tara O'Shea
Captain Cleanup: Storm
Marvel Zombie Girl: Drew Nilium
Mini-Balrogs: Camilla Sandman via Jeanne Morningstar
Merissa: Saxon Brenton and Rob Rogers
Crime Empress: Lalo Martins and Rob Rogers
Kiwis in general: Ian "Descrii" Porell
Vectors in general, sheep in general: Rob Rogers
Footnote Girl, OMAR: Saxon Brenton
Ven-Dorr, Old Comics Man [I think]: Dave Van Domelen
Mr. Homage, Polybag Person: Jeff 'Drizzt' Barnes
Anti-Christ Lad, Lucky Chain Letter Lucy, sabertooths in general: Arthur
Spitzer
Dr. Killfile II: Jeanne Morningstar and Tom Russell
90s Comics Kid, UltraKiwi, Vector-troll-sheep, Simplicity, Dr. Dreaded
Deadline Doom: Jeanne Morningstar
Erik the Plaid: ?????