SW10/WWW: Powernaut 2008 #16: That is the Least of Your Problems, Boy

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Oct 1 19:59:30 PDT 2020

On 2020-09-28 17:07, Scott Eiler wrote:
> Powernauts have ancestors.  Now, so does the Toledo Torpedo.  But that's
> not always a good thing...  The Reality House series continues.
>
> http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/2008c.htm#16

On reviewing the story, I see it's time for an Author's Note.

I had to consider the Toledo Torpedo's role in this series, especially
when he cracked wise and claimed "Toledus Torpedus" as history.  Sure,
I'm his writer, but he made me do that.  I was inclined to call
bull$#!+, but I checked the linguistic origins first...  "Toledo
Torpedo" roughly means, "Shadow Warrior of Generations"!  (Toledo itself
is, "City of Generations".  Or at least it was in Spain.  And modern
torpedoes are shadow warriors of a sort; they got their name that way.)
And "Shadow Warrior" matches his powers, possibly better than his
creator ever intended.  So, the Toledo Torpedo is right!  I guess he
joins Wyatt's family and the Powernauts as heroes across generations.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org