LNH: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 3 #3: "Sequels are Always Worse" [2/6]

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:32:16 PST 2020

On 11/10/20 1:18 PM, Jeanne Morningstar wrote:
> "What are you doing here?" Doctor Stomper had always assumed that Occultism Kid
> was somewhere on the aromantic/asexual spectrum. He certainly wasn't someone who
> ever got involved in Valentine's Day celebrations.
>
> "Well, I wanted to figure out if this was a trap, and this was the only way to
> find out."
>
> Dr. Stomper nodded. "That's relatable."

Heeheehee

> "I guess I was assuming I'd be paired up with Obscure Trivia Lad. We're... sort
> of queerplatonic, I suppose."

Cuuuuuuute

> "I suppose it is," he said through gritted teeth. "The difference between magic
> and science, especially in superhero universes, is between different modes of
> genre. I've written papers about this."

It's true!

> "One of the powerful driving energies of storytelling," said Dr. Stomper, "But
> when it builds up excessively, it can be a problem to manage, eroding the kind
> of friendships of superheroes which are key to the narrative of this kind of
> universe. Furthermore, conflict need not be the only source of storytelling
> structure--"
>
> "I know that," snapped Occultism Kid.

This is such a good combination of meta and text. Like, this is how meta should
be. :D

> "We had better shut this all down before they start talking about Looms," said
> Occultism Kid. Dr. Stomper had only been peripherally involved in Doctor Who
> fandom in the 90s, but he suppressed a full body shudder.

X3 Ahhhhhh, a lovely throwback to the discourse that we've moved far enough past
to joke about.

> This
> situation has a strong aura of  virtual reality device--"
>
> "--or a spell," said Occultism Kid.
>
> "Or a spell, I *suppose*," said Dr. Stomper.
>
> "It's a demonically-infused virtual reality machine," said Mashup Laq.

:D OF COURSE

> "Oh that's easy. I'm still trapped in the infernal virtual reality subroutine;
> my body is stuck dancing with Gets-Annoyed-When-Writers-Mix-Different-Genres
> Lad.

X3 X3 X3

> But the silver lining is since I'm stuck in this--literally--infernal
> machine, I have the powers of anyone who's in here in my database and don't have
> to touch them. An unpredictable reaction of the daemonic techno-magick with my
> powers, I guess."
>
> "Or authorial convenience," said Doctor Stomper.
>
> "I was going to say," said Occultism Kid.

Hey, if it works it works. :D

> "Anyway. I fused the powers of Multi-Tasking Man and the late Scary Ghost
> Lass--who isn't here but whose biodata traces I guess are tied to this amusement
> park because it naturally attracts ghosts--

There ya go!

> to become Multi-Haunting Ghost,
> meaning I can send out ghost duplicates to move freely around here.

OF COURSE. :D I love how you use their powers.

> There
> doesn't seem to be a natural exit from this place, though. No doors, no windows,
> no anything. I tried glitching outside but it's all just corrupted repetitions
> of the same tiles."

That's nice and video-game-spooky. :D

Drew "creepypasta" Nilium