LNH: Hungry Hungry Sabertooths #6pi.VI.6: "Tragedy and Trenchcoats" [2/3]

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:10:59 PST 2020

On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 9:23:50 AM UTC-5, Jeanne Morningstar wrote:
> II. RECRIMINATION
>
> Occultism Kid's astral form sank back into his body like an overcrowded
> garbage bag into a dumpster.

Oof, what a metaphor.

> He'd overexerted himself and now he
> wouldn't be able to go astral for a while. He was stuck in this room
> with himself (and technically the Door Warden, but the Door Warden had
> been in a depressive mood and hadn't felt like talking for a while), the
> worst place to be.

awwwwwwh.

Turns out it's not that easy. @-@

Awwwwwwww. Yeah that makes sense.

> What he had was a small number of friendships he cultivated and invested
> himself in, of which Obscure Trivia Lad and wReamhack were the most
> stable. Forming new ones was hard; he tended to stick to the small
> number of relationships he was sure of, which made it all the harder
> when one of them crumbled because a character died or was taken off the
> board.

Hmmmmmmm yeah that scans. ``;

> He did feel an instinctive strong connection to Nina, but guilt over
> what happened to Ultimate Ninja and putting her in this situation got in
> his way, even though he knew that he probably blamed himself more for
> that than she did.

Oh dear. Also familiar.

> The fact that the problem might be Neme.sys affecting his thinking was,
> in a way, the more comforting option. The problem could have gone back
> long, long ago in his life, beginning with his visit to the dead
> Looniverse, not long after he joined the Legion. [Legion of Occult
> Heroes #4] Ever since then, death, failure and tragedy had never been
> far away. Had the horrors he'd seen impressed themself on him so much
> they'd become a central part of his magic?

oooooooooh. Nice deep angst.

>  His victories were all pyrrhic.
>
> There was part of him that was afraid of that and part of him that
> wanted to embrace that.

Niiiiiiice character beat.

> In his jewelry box of artifacts he held a
> particularly powerful one called the Wings of Endless Angst, which drew
> on the power of Darkening. It was obviously (well, obvious for the
> people who had read a lot of Doctor Strange comics) inspired by the
> Peter Gillis run of Doctor Strange, one of the better examples of that
> kind of story. The problem was that after a certain point this became
> the only story anyone ever told with Doctor Strange,

YEP. >:/

Well yeah. @-@

> The Darkening of the Sorcerer Supreme was one of the two stories that
> creators who didn't really know what to do with magic as a narrative
> element kept going back to--the other was "the Death of Magic" which
> thankfully the LNH writers, for all their boundless silliness, had
> enough sense to avoid.

Mmmmmmmhm >:/ Slash "The New Age of Magic", which we *have* played around with but in a different and smarter way.

> Maybe switch to wearing white
> trenchcoats and call himself Occultism Kid the White--no, that had bad
> connotations, but he could certainly grow a long beard.

X3

> But no, he wasn't ready to move on just yet. Because his apprentice was
> absolutely not ready to be Occultism Kid. They were still stabilizing,
> still figuring themself out. They had a good bit of arrogance--extremely
> justified arrogance, which was as bad in its own way as the other kind.

That's so well-put.

> They were as loud, assertive and flashy as Occultism Kid was quiet,
> retiring and sometimes nonentity-ish. They had to learn to listen and
> reflect in the same way Occultism Kid had had to learn to be confident
> and assert himself. The problem is, maybe he'd never actually figured
> that out.

Oh oof, *oof*. <3

> He saw the telltale rainbow flash of the Trenchcoat of Many Colors worn
> by Kid Occultism Kid, his apprentice.

:D

Drew "this is such good character stuff" Nilium