SW10/WWW: Superhuman World Wiki: Toledo Torpedo!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu May 21 21:13:34 PDT 2020

On 2020-05-20 20:05, Drew Nilium wrote:
> On 5/19/2020 9:58 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> The title "Toledo Torpedo" roughly translates as "Shadow Warrior of
>> Generations". The original Toledo in Spain was known as "City of
>> Generations". The original "torpedoes" in the U.S. Civil War were
>> land and sea mines. Those were rightfully termed as "shadow
>> warriors".
>>
>> Patrick's grandfather was a Toledo Torpedo before him; he passed on
>>  the oral history as it exists. Toledo Torpedoes go back at least
>> two millennia. Patrick's grandfather told of a Roman hero called
>> "Toledus Torpedus".
 >
> I love the trope of saying "No, this straightforward and kinda goofy
> English-language name *actually* has a deep and ancient meaning" - but I
> don't think Toledo was around two millennia ago, and I know torpedoes
> weren't!

How true.  Toledo, torpedoes, and the Toledo Torpedo might have all been
named after other things...  Part 2 will give a clue into that.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org