LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #143: Infinite Leadership Cry.Sig Part Nineteen

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:48:30 PDT 2020

On 3/15/2020 5:13 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
<snip>
> But, wait, you say?  What happened to Episode 31 to 464?  Well, most of those
> were skipped.  Some writers have gone back and written some of the issues
> (Check this link for those stories:
> https://lnh.diamond-age.net/wiki/List_of_Infinite_Leadership_Crisis_Stories
> But those written way after the fact -- and you don't really need to read
> those to understand this issue.  (Also Lalo Martins did a limited series
> called 58.5 that covered stuff that was happening in that skipped story
> era)

I still want to write more of these. X3 Eventually, probably. :>

> But this is the first part of the conclusion of Infinite Leadership Cry.Sig.
> All of the LNH'rs except for Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats Lad and Cannon Fodder
> have disappeared and now it's just those two and massive amount of LNH
> robo duplicates that are still in the LNHHQ.  Can Cannon Fodder figure out
> who's responsible for all of the missing LNH'rs?  And will you find this
> issue as completely unsatisfying as the readers from way back in 2007 did?

I think the ending mostly works, with one part that's disappointing if you read
thru the ILC blind, but is just fine if you know what's coming. See below~

> It all began on April 29th, 1992 with one post...
>
> And now Two Days and Fifteen Years Later...

Ah man, I forgot this was a 15th-anniversary deal. @-@ I guess the 30th is
coming up...

...which means this will have happened halfway thru the history of the LNH...

...oh boy I feel old.

> "I think trying to explain it to my grandchildren was the hardest part.
>    How do you explain to kids that they will never ever have another
> Birthday or another Christmas because there is some evil organization
> that is so twisted that it would steal all of the months that aren't
> called April?  How?  How do you explain that?" McLaughlin Man said
> looking at the TV camera and then at his guest panelists sitting around
> the table.

Always April and never Christmas!

> "Nonsense!" McLaughlin Man said slamming his hand on the table.  "My
> Bible says that Jesus's birth date was on December 25th, 0000AD!!!  Are
> you calling God a liar??!!!!"
>
> "Where exactly in your Bible does it...?" Scholarly Expert Type Person
> started to say.

heeheeheehee

> "Look," McLaughlin said ignoring the question.  "This is all beside the
> point.  Can't we all just agree on one thing?  That the LNH is to blame
> for all of this?"  Everyone on the panel said Amen and nodded their heads.

Welp. X3

> "And Satan arrived in court today in his pajamas.  What do think, Susan?
>    How will this affect his case?"
>
> "Well normally going to court in your pajamas would be a very bad idea,
> but considering this is California..."

I don't understand this joke but it still makes me laugh? X3

> "So is Kid Recap gone?"
>
> Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats Lad nodded.  [See LNHCP #499:  'The Crimes of
> Amnesia!' Whenever anyone decides to write it that is...]

That sounds like a fun thing to do someday.

> "Guess that leaves us two."  Cannon Fodder thought about that for a
> couple of seconds.  "Man.  Ultimate Ninja goes on vacation for a month.
>    And now this.  465 days later 464 people gone (LNH members, kiwis,
> receptionists and so on).  And we don't even know where UN went.  And
> now Deductive Logic Man and No Sense of Direction Man are out there
> searching for him and -- How did we get here?"

I like the idea that the two of them were officially booted out of the LNH to
free them up from the possibility of being picked as leader. In fact, have we
actually seen Deductive Logic Man since then?

> "You have a plan?"
>
> "Yeah, not a great one -- but I do.  I'm going to take a time delayed
> suicide pill right before it hits midnight.  Maybe if I die my body will
> return here and I'll know who or what is doing this and where the LNH'rs
> have all ended up.  Assuming it works.  Other than that -- not really.
> I just need to find a way to survive that long."  Cannon Fodder took a
> sip out of his coffee mug.

I mean, that's pretty darn good.

> "We have the Newbie Syndicate down in the holding cells.  They're from
> Earth September aren't they?  A place that is always September.  Maybe
> they would know why our April isn't ending?" Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats Lad
> suggested.
>
> Cannon Fodder nodded.  "I've thought about that.  But they're pretty
> clueless.  And I'm not sure if Earth September has anyone that has a
> clue.

You know, that's reasonable. X3 Man, I want to bring them back sometime.

Awwwwww. <3 Yes, good. You know what, let me put that on the wiki...

> "Heh.  I can relate.  I hang with Namer Boy, Ubiquitous Boy Lad Jr., and
> You're-Not-Hitting-Me-Hard-Enough Lad.  You should see the crazy stuff
> we get up to.

That's a group I really like. :> And of course, that changed in the historic and
epochal LNH Volume 2 #50!

> "I guess.  But you never know.  Funny.  I always knew that I would be
> the last one.  Just because of my power.  The last LNH'r.  There's this
> dream I have every now and then.  Everyone is dead.  But not me.  I'm
> still alive.  The last man in dead Looniverse."

oh sweetie. I need to give him hugs. And therapy.

> "The LNH seems to spend quite a bit of time capturing and re-capturing
> supervillains.  If the LNH simply eliminated all supervillains, then it
> could devote its time fully to saving the world.  My plan would involve
> exterminating all of the supervillains we have in our holding cells and
> the other prisons around the world.  And killing anyone whoever commits
> a single crime.  What do you think about my idea, Cannon Fodder?"

A scathing indictment of the carceral system! Well-done!

> Cannon Fodder didn't like where this conversation is heading.  "Umm,
> okay.  You're right about people making dumb choices.  But that's
> freedom.  You take that away and you've got slaves.  And who's to say
> your decisions would be any smarter?  Oh, and blueberry345NH."  The last
> bit that Cannon Fodder said was a code to disable the robot duplicate.

Very smart. <3

> "The LNH Robot Duplication Machine says so.  Oh btw the first thing we
> did was disable any codes that would shut us down."

There's a reason Doctor Stomper doesn't actually build most of the super-science
machines the LNH has, I think.

> I am envoking LNH article
> 23789BZ47239TR of the LNH Constitution."
>
> "Umm article what?"
>
> "Article 23789BZ47239TR states that anyone who can assassinate the
> current LNH leader becomes the LNH leader.  Prepare to die, Cannon Fodder."

I absolutely believe Ultimate Ninja had that put in.

> But before Robo-Stomper could shoot him down, Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats
> Lad pulled out a piece of paper from his hat faster than anyone had ever
> pulled a piece of paper out of a hat.  He rushed in front of Cannon
> Fodder and used the piece of paper to block the speeding bullet.

Oh this is gonna be so--

> The
> bullet passed right through the piece of paper and into
> Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats Lad.

Welp.

> As Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats Lad fell to the
> ground, Cannon Fodder quickly threw his mug of coffee at Robo-Stomper.
> The Coffee seeped into the robot duplicates circuitry board and sparks
> started to fly.  Cannon Fodder dodged a couple of more bullets and
> quickly pulled out a katana from under the Ultimate Ninja's desk.  With
> all of his might he threw the katana right at the Robo-Stomper.  The
> katana impaled the Robo-Stomper's throat.  At first the Robo-Stomper
> tried to pull out the katana, but a few seconds later the robot
> duplicate collapsed to the ground.

Hell yeah action. :D

> "Why did you do that?  It wouldn't have mattered if he had killed me!"
> Cannon Fodder said as he held Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats Lad body.
>
> "Should have been bullet proof paper.  Powers screwed up.

Fascinating.

>    The Peril Room.  Of course!  The Peril Room.

Ohhhhh, of *course*

> <<LNH Members!  This is the LNH Robot Duplication Machine Speaking!  The
> LNH Leader Cannon Fodder has gone insane!  He has killed Dr. Stomper in
> cold blood!  He is now a menace to society and must be stopped at all
> costs!  Whoever kills Cannon Fodder will be made the next LNH leader!
> Cannon Fodder must die!>>
>
> Cannon Fodder looked at the LNH intercom.  "Well, so much for the
> Honeymoon."  And with that Cannon Fodder kicked the door in front of him
> open and made his way towards the Peril Room.

This is legitimately good shit. :D

> "Did you get them yet?" the
> disproportionately-drawn porpoise
> beside him asked, as the man and woman
> below them ran for cover.
>
> "No," the robotic No-Point Lad said,
> happy to have found a porpoise in life at
> last.

booooooo :D <3 <3 <3

> "Irony Man?  That you?" Liefield's
> Porpoise asked, glancing at the blister-
> coated armored figure.  "Didn't
> recognize you in your new armor.  It kind
> of looks like a saltshaker with a skin
> condition."

Heeheehee

> "I've heard of it, once," Londonbroil
> said.  "It's supposed to be a place
> created by one of the Writers, and then
> forgotten.  A blind spot on the Looniverse,
> where even the Writers themselves can't
> influence what goes on inside."
>
> "And what better place," said the deep,
> gravel-filtered voice of a very old man,
> "to serve as the headquarters for the
> worldwide resistance movement against those
> very Writers?  Welcome, my children, to the
> innermost sanctum of the CHURCH OF THE
> FOURTH WALL."

That's so good. <3 <3 <3

> "I'm the Melissa virus," she snapped.
> "However, you may call me Vector."

Dun dun dunnnnn!

> "All of this was foretold," the priest said.
> "That those mighty Authors above who do chart our
> destiny with malice aforethought would tire of
> making us the object of their ridicule, and
> commence our outright torment for their pleasure."
>
> "Bloody hell," Londonbroil said.  "Do you
> go on like this all the time?  No wonder no one
> comes to your church."

Heeheehee

> "I propose to march on Legion headquarters
> this very afternoon, and destroy those system
> corruptors," the armored man said.

No, that's a different team

> "And with I, MYNABIRD, to lead you, you
> shall be victorious.  Relentless.  Unstoppable.
> You... my SURREPTITIOUS SEVEN!  Together, we
> will eviscerate the Legion, and grind Easily-
> Discovered Man and Lite into a rich, gooey..."

Oh *my*

> "Oh, my," Vector Prime said, standing up
> and running her hand across the boy's chin.
> "That's the most delicious piece of code I've
> ever seen."

...yeah, that's hot.

> The boy clutched his face and dropped to
> his knees as pinpricks of metal burst from his
> skin.  Wires, writhing like worms, surrounded
> his arms and wove patterns across his legs.
> Dull dermal plates projected from his face,
> making his profile look like a Picasso
> painting, and one of his eyes began to glow
> red.

Man that's a good creepy description.

> The cyborg knelt before Vector Prime and
> bowed his head.
>
> "I AM YOURS TO COMMAND, MY LADY,"
> it said.

Also hot.

> "Before we go into battle, we must first
> participate in the time-honored tradition
> known to all warriors... the training
> montage, scored to a mid-'80s synth-pop
> classic!" Mynabird said.  "Fortunately,
> I've brought along a copy of Europe's
> 'The Final Countdown.' "

omfg X3 <3 <3 <3 I love Mynabird, because he's simultaneously a legitimately
terrible villain and a goofball.

> "Consider yourself lucky," said
> Downyflake, who -- like Thurman and the others
> -- had hidden his costume beneath a black
> pea coat.  "The original Waffle Queen used to
> make us train to the 'Flashdance' soundtrack."

What a feeling. o3o

> "But without power, our force field won't be
> able to protect us," the robot Sister-State-the
> Obvious said, as the monitor station's lights began
> to flicker.  "What would the Gamer Boy robot think?"

Heeheehee

> "I'll see if I can jump-start the system from
> one of the rooftop access panels," the Bad-Timing Boy
> robot said.

omg that's good

> Thurman turned her head toward Londonbroil.
>
> "Do you know that your accent keeps changing?"
> she asked.  "I could introduce you to my dialogue
> coach, if you want."

X3

> "I've been hearing about this new crime boss
> tearing up the underworld," he said.  "Fancies
> 'imself the equal of Mr. Homage.  He has this
> thing about heroes considered to be silly, or
> ones who make a lot of jokes -- he can't stand
> them.  And he loves the violence.  They call
> him DiDi-O."

This is a good time to note that everything with the Surreptitious Seven is a
parody of the Infinite Crisis-era Secret Six.

> Bad-Timing Boy had just arrived at the exact
> center of the building's roof when he felt a
> shadow fall across his face.  He looked up.
>
> "Oh, snap," he said.

yessssss

> The impact sent a shock wave rippling through
> downtown Net.ropolis, shattering windows,
> overturning parked cars and collapsing the Chan
> Center for Breakaway Architecture at Dave Thomas
> Deluxe University.
>
> Car alarms screamed.  Hydrants sent torrents
> of water streaming into the air.  The dust
> thrown up by the crash mixed with the smoke pouring
> from Legion headquarters in a haze that choked
> out the sun.

So many good details, GOSH.

> One of them,
> braking too late, skidded off the edge of the
> bridge and tumbled toward the water...
>
> ...and into the waiting arms of Kid-Not
> Appearing-In-Any-Retcon-Hour Story, who
> gently returned it to the bridge.

HELL YEAH \m/>.<\m/

> "Writers Block Woman!  Keep that wave
> from reaching Net.ropolis," he yelled, since
> none of their communication.thingees seemed
> to be working.  "If it reaches the shore, the
> whole fashion district will be underwater."
>
> "And with flood pants at least six years
> out of style!" the robot Writers Block Woman
> gasped, hovering above the bay.

Gosh Rob is good at comedy.

> "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the
> burning of HQ!" Londonbroil sang, letting
> his flamethrower play along the walls and
> the furniture of the Legion's foyer.
> "We have toasted all the kiwis and the
> little finchies too!  And now we're marching
> through the yard to roast the honor guard!
> Our troops are marching onnnnn..."

omfg

> "That's why I brought my friend along,"
> Londonbroil said, stepping aside to make
> way for the Alt.Imate Ninja.  "Did I happen
> to mention that he's programmed to counter
> the fighting patterns of each and every one
> of you?"
>
> Kid Anarky smirked, raising his claymore.
>
> "Patterns?" he said.  "Let me show you
> what I think of patterns."

GOD the fun here with playing with the entire toybox of LNHers

> With a wet, greasy pop, Easily-Discovered
> Man's head exploded like an overripe grape.

...he's still a robot, right?

> "Going to have to get along without me,
> anyway," Cynical Lass said, clutching Lite's
> shoulder.  "Never... did... like... cats."
>
> "Hey," Lite said.  "Hey.  Don't talk like
> that.  You still haven't had a chance to turn
> me down for the prom.  I haven't had the chance
> to tell you... to tell you..."
>
> "Don't get all serious on me," Cynical Lass
> said, her face growing pale, her eyes locked on
> Lite's.  "Tell me a joke, Lite..."

Rob is doing a Tragic Everybody Dies Elsewhirls and TBH I'm here for it.

> The pulsating yellow light within
> Mynabird's visor stopped.  There was a tiny
> sound, like a puff of air, and the armored
> man's helmet split in two, revealing a
> miniature control console manned by a
> speck-sized, reddish, eight-legged creature.
>
> "At last, Easily-Discovered Man Lite,"
> the creature pipped.  "At long, long last,
> my revenge is complete!  You will suffer,
> Easily-Discovered Man Lite... and you will
> die... as you have always deserved to... at
> the hands of the EASILY-DISCOVERED BRAN MITE!"

I love this reveal SO MUCH. X3

> "You idiots!  You idiots!" cried someone from behind the rubble.  "Those
> are robot duplicates you killed!"  The villains turned around to see who
> was speaking to them.  It was Cannon Fodder who was lugging some
> bleeding superhero.
>
> "Robot Duplicates?" Easily-Discovered Bran Mite quickly shut his helmet
> back up.  He scanned the charred ground.  "Yes.  You're right.  Damn!
> Oh btw about that whole Easily-Discovered Bran Mite thing -- I was just
> joking!  I'm the Mysterious Mynabird!  And no one knows who I am!  No one!"
>
> "Oh, give it a break," said Londonbroil who had returned.

You can tell the exact moment it switches from Rob to Arthur, and this moment
works so well for that, switching from triumphant drama to hapless comedy.

> "Free the supervillains?  Free them all?  Yes.  That could work.  Yes.
> We could do that.  Free them all!" said Cannon Fodder with a slightly
> crazed expression.

I love when CF goes off the deep end. I need to bring him back for that.

> "And why should we help you?" hissed Barrage.
>
> "Because I also know all of the self-destruct codes.  And I will have no
> problem using them!"

Heeheehee

> "I need to find a way to keep Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats Lad trapped in the
> computer system when he dies in the Peril Room and not have him teleport
> back to the material world, do you think you can do that?" Cannon Fodder
> asked Vector Prime.

This is such a good way to do it.

> And as the cell doors opened, the doors of the prison cell area burst
> open and a horde of LNH robot duplicates started to pour into the room.
>
> And the battle had begun.

I love it so much.

> He saw the Injoker grappling with the Gamerboy duplicate.
> Cowardly Lott and Coward Lad trembling in a battle of "Please, don't hit
> me!"'s.
> Hell-Catalyst pulling Revamp Lass's hair.
> The Chuggernaut in a chug-off to the death with Frat Boy and Token Girl.
> Mr. Paprika rotting away Dr. Molar's teeth.
> Always-Seems-Powerful-On-His-Own-But-Gets-His-Ass-Kicked-in-Crowd-Scenes
> Boy getting his ass kicked by Thread Bear.
> Arthur E L Presence looking very unsatisfied as he knocked off Deja Dude.
> Shoe Devil battling Shoe Boy.
> Fanboy King out-fanning Fan.Boy.
> Flying.Altogether.Too.Naked.Villain out-nuding Nudist Man.
> Limburger Lad out-cheeezing Cheeezarr.
> Slobbering Grue! out-grueing Ur-Grue.
> Dr. Boring out-dulling a team-up of Limp Asparagus Lad and Boring Man.
> Move-Del trying to move Chair.  But Chair would not budge.
> Table tabling Stat-taking Kid.
> The Newbie Syndicate battling Teenfactor.
> Brain Boy battling The Robot with Lawrence Welk's Brain.
> Jesse Willey's Grocery List strangling the Vel duplicate.
> Kidzip trading blows with Undone Fly Guy and Dr.
> I-Shoot-Powerful-Beams-Out-Of-The-Palms-Of-My-Hands-How-Hardcore-Am-I.
> [Editor's Note: This fight is in fact a complete rip-off of the one in
> Possum-Man: Relinquished #2: Safety First.]
> The Worm gnawing on grass and Ro-Man beating his chest in triumph over
> the dead bodies of the Load Island Renegades duplicates.
> Barrage savagely mauling a team-up of Mojo Dog, Dog Boy, and Cauliflower
> the Christmas Miracle Pooch.
> Bluetooth translating Miss Translation.
> Decibel Dude and Vigilante Guy battling the Time Mime and Kronos the Clown.
> The Secret Dvanders vs Pencil Rain.
> The Legion of Occult Heroes vs Angst.
> Los Bastardos vs Happy Pig Boy Force.
> The R-Men vs Y-Plex Burp.
> Kirbybot vs Kirbybot.
> The Alt.Ter.Net.Tives vs The Seven Deadly Sphammers.  As Glitch Girl
> tried using her powers a number of robot duplicates started to go haywire.
> Comic Snob Boy's witty criticism was useless against the RobGoblin's sales.
> He saw the Psycho Pawn sighing wistfully to himself as he stood over the
> bodies of Loopy, Marcy, and King Quake.  "A shame."  He shook his head.
>    "A right shame it is.  All of these robot duplicates and not one with
> a single wallet.  A right shame."
> He saw the Self-Righteous Preacher duplicates and Net.Patrol duplicates
> fighting each other strangely enough.  Cannon Fodder wondered who that
> Cat girl was supposed to be a duplicate of.  And seeing Lost Cause Boy
> again.  The LNH Robot Duplication Machine was bringing back everyone.

I just need to quote all of this, because every single matchup is a hilarious
idea, and just smacking them down one after another after another is a beautiful
piece of art. I love it so much.

> "Because the LNH Robot Duplication Machine has offered me a better deal.
>    And it will be easier to kill you all here!" the Alt-Imate Ninja said
> with a savage expression as he lifted up his own Alt-Imate katana.

Ooooooh, nice! :D

> "I wouldn't?  I think you should remember that I'm human therefore
> completely irrational!  Why wouldn't I do that?  The question you need
> to ask yourself is can you afford to take the chance?  Logically, do you
> sacrifice yourself to insure the LNH and Net.ropolis don't blow up or do
> you die with Net.ropolis?  What would a logic rational machine choose?"
>
> <<I must sacrifice myself for the good of the many.  That is the logical
> decision.>>
>
> "Then do it."
>
> <<I only wanted to save the world.>>
>
> "That's all I want to do too."

_WOW_. This is an extremely Arthur moment, taking the Star Trek plot and
supercharging it into something over-the-top emotional. Srsly, Arthur, you're a
*damn* good writer.

> Sipping fruit punch, Cannon Fodder just looked at the insane celebration
> that was happening.  The Solid Gold Dancers were boogying it up to some
> Disco Music.  The RobGoblin was break dancing.  The Time Mime was
> playing charades with a couple of other villains.  Poli.Sig discussed
> the 2008 Election with GREN.DEL.  Dr. F was holding up Dr. Stomper's
> head like a trophy.  He didn't think he had ever seen Supervillains this
> happy.  They had finally defeated the LNH.

This is another great moment - so much of this issue feels like "What's
something absolutely over-the-top we could do with the idea of 'net.villains
defeat the entire LNH'", and I love it.

> All the robot duplicate corpses.  All the damage of a thoroughly trashed
> LNHHQ.  All of the happy supervillains trashing it even more.  Oh, God!
>    What have I done!  What have I done!  Ultimate Ninja is going to kill me!
>
> And with that thought Cannon Fodder vanished.

heeheeheehee

> <<Greetings <click> from the Looniversal <wrrr> Answering Machine!
> You're probably <click> wondering why there are no <wrrr> posts in the
> groups called alt.comics.lnh and <click> rec.art.comics.creative.
>
> Sometimes, we <wrrr> wonder, too.
>
> Quite simply, <click> the LNH no longer <wrrr> exists.  The last story
> was posted <click> on April 29, 2008.
>
> There is, however, still <click> an incredibly large <wrrr> archive
> filled with plenty of <click> great stories at...>>  The voice of the
> Looniversal Answering Machine died.  And its eyes dimmed.

YET ANOTHER AMAZING HIGH CONCEPT.

> "Bart the Receptionist?  Okay.  I'm sick of this game.  Who are you really?"
>
> "I am Bart the Dark Receptionist, you fool!  I am the destroyer of the
> LNH!  I beat you all!"
>
> "Really?  You're Bart the Receptionist?  Really?  You're not pulling my
> leg are you?  I mean really?  Christ.  I can't believe this.  Really?  I
> think I'm going to have to sit down and just take this in.  Bart the
> Receptionist.  Wow -- that's just totally -- Damn.  I mean, really?"

X3 X3 X3 I mean. That's a great reaction.

> Dekay and Diskolor.  The Bryttle Brothers.  Memories of Beige Noon
> started to flood into Cannon Fodder's brain.  Oh god.

This must have felt like a hell of a deep cut when this was posted.

> "You don't know that!  We have people from the future who are constantly
> popping into the LNHHQ!  There's a whole LNH imprint devoted to the
> future adventures of the LNH!"
>
> "When was the last time you saw an LNH2 story on RACC?"

Savage.

> "Okay.  But the thing I don't get though is why the whole disappearing
> LNH Leaders thing?  What was the point?"
>
> "Dekay and Diskolor have a flair for the dramatic.

I think this here is the part that felt disappointing - the questions of "how
and why are our leaders disappearing" had been built up by the various ILC
writers, and "because some cosmic entities felt like it" wasn't a super
satisfactory answer to that. But coming back to this story knowing what's
happening and why, I can see that it's all part of building up the Bryttle
Brothers as the kind of incredibly powerful beings who *can* do such things
arbitrarily.

> Dekay and Diskolor want you to be at
> your very best when they destroy you.  They want you to know that they
> are coming and nothing that you do will stop them.  They want the LNH to
> have one last great battle."

Like so. Which is a valid way to go about it.

> I think if given another couple of weeks or so this whole issue would
> look better.  Rob was supposed to write more than this... but he had to
> take a trip out of the country... so he sent me what he had finished
> (which was a lot... just not in the sense of advancing the plot I had
> outlined).  You can probably tell the stuff he wrote and the stuff I
> wrote by the fact that I was too lazy to make the number of characters
> per line uniform.  It was fun working with Rob, but I think both of us
> needed a lot more time to make this issue work.  And so this is what you
> get.

And honestly, this is a reasonable thing too. It would only have taken a few
more tweaks to make the ending fit the ongoing mystery, but neither of you had
the time - you wanted to get it out there while it still felt timely.

> Was going to have this issue have a cameo of at least one
> character from every single writer who had ever written an LNH story,
> but after looking through the Author List I realized what an insane idea
> that was.

Oh god yeah. X3

> Dekay and Diskolor were before this issue found in a flashback in the
> Lurk of Faith miniseries dealing with the whole 2 1/2 month gap period.
>    I always found the whole concept behind them kind of cool.  These
> vague menaces that nearly destroyed reality and the LNH who just
> disappeared and were never seen of again.

I agree, that's a great callback.

Drew "fun stuff!" Nilium