LNH20: LNH20 Comics Presents #24: "Mumbled By the Hungry Cold"

Drew Nilium pwerdna at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:39:00 PDT 2020

On 6/30/2020 12:48 AM, Tom Russell wrote:
> Drew! I love the dreamy but precise lyricism of your prose here.

^#^ Thank you! I was trying to reach into the deep spiritual undercarriage of
ghost stories and evoke it as a whole experience. I love doing that kind of
abstract-experience stuff. X3

> It reminds me a bit of the sort of thing that deucexm does in some of their
> DiVerse stories. Not that I think you were imitating them in any way, just
> that every new word and every new sentence was a perfect pleasure.

I consider that a high compliment! :>

> It's infused of course with your optimism and earnestness, one of the
> things I most enjoy about your work.

eeeeeeeee ^#^ Thank you!! I'm really trying to communicate that energy to the world.

> One thing that strikes me - and perhaps this is something that is being
> hinted at, and might be explored further down the road - is that he is
> reaching out at an individual level to attempt to solve a problem that is
> systemic. Which is perhaps all that a single person *can* do - to light
> little fires against the darkness and the terrible sweep of history - and it
> *matters*, but I hope for the sake of his own mental well-being that he can
> see that even if he reaches every single "greedy" person, and encourages
> them to be "good", the system itself is exploitative.

Yes!!! That's really important to the themes here, tho I don't really get into
it in this story (it would be way too abstract for someone in Otherkin Lad's
headspace). Trying to act as an individual against a systemic problem is gonna
lead to burnout at best. And I think the LNH, in its structure and its glorious
strangeness, is really fertile ground for showing how we can fight systemic
evils by working together, individuals with disparate talents and focuses
standing in solidarity and supporting each other. I'm really hoping to show that
in the next few issues of LNH20CP, as we enter an arc I call-- "W.H.A.T.E.V.E.R.
Happens Next!"

Drew "if I manage to write it" Nilum