[MISC] Welcome To The School

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Jun 22 17:41:40 PDT 2020

On 2020-06-20 16:03, Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> [One week ago, somewhere in central Washington]
>
>       I looked around.  No one visible, not that I could see very far outside
> the clearing I'd hiked to.  According to my map app, no one lived within an
> hour's walk, and everything I'd been able to look up said this area wasn't
> particularly popular with either casual hikers or serious ones.  It was as
> good as I was likely to get in terms of isolation.  And it was a nice day for
> a long walk from the nearest road...a little cool for early autumn, just
> enough breeze to keep the bugs moving.

I'd help out with details, but yeah, that's definitely possible in
central Washington state.  Could easily be anywhere along U.S. Route 2
just east of the Columbia River.

>      This started as a dream, in which I was the viewpoint character.  I
> decided that trying to just write it up as-is would come across as creepy and
> Gary-Stu-ish, so I set it aside.  But after a few days, I decided that I
> could keep the core premise but shift enough details to take some of the edge
> off of my own objections.  And I really wanted to get some version of the
> story out onto the page.

It worked out pretty well.  I especially enjoyed Our Hero having to join
a Magical Girl school.

Most of my own fiction is of course based on Gary Stu dreams.  Its main
redeeming feature is, I put *two* Gary Stu characters in, and then
crowdsourced many others.  Of course my Gary Stu's (Ellipsis and Wyatt
Ferguson) don't get along very well.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org