8FOLD/SW10: Lifespans (Re: 8FOLD: Daylighters # 7, "Five Year Rule")

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Jun 7 20:27:37 PDT 2020

On 2020-06-03 22:01, Tom Russell wrote:

> Five years, people told her. Run around and punch things for five
> years, and if you're lucky enough to still be alive, hang up the
> tights. After five years, the chances of getting killed double, and
> they just keep on doubling. A couple months from now, Kate will be
> starting year twelve. Long past time for the gold watch.

That's as good a rule as any I've heard for lifespans of superheroes.

Of course, rules may differ by universe...  Powernauts seem to last from
age 20-something to age 40-something.  They get really powerful toward
the end, but then they run afoul of reality until they get rebooted
together as 40-somethings.  Their colleagues are even more long-lived,
though they may not be highly active once they've been adventuring for
thirty years or so.

... Anyway, I enjoyed both the adventure threads in this story.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org