MISC: GODLING # 64 Grief by J. Vandersteen

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Jul 8 21:25:16 PDT 2020

On 2020-07-08 15:54, jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com wrote:

> Quentin stares in her eyes. Their lips come closer. Then Quentin
> recoils. He thinks, "No. Not now. Not in this way. That would be
> like taking advantage of her..."
>
> "I don't want to be alone tonight,"> Monica says.
>
> "Oh no... All my dreams could come true now? But it feels wrong, so
> wrong. No," Quentin thinks. He says, "You can sleep on my couch. I
> will bring you some pillows, a blanket..."
>
> "Thanks, you're such a wonderful friend," Monica says and kisses
> Quentin's cheek.
>
> Outside the apartment building stands Wade Hudson. "I should have
> known you would go here, damn you!"

... That sounds a lot like real life, and it's a good passage.  Also a
good story about how even godlings interact best with society by just
being sociable.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org