SW10/WWW: Psychovant Teaches American History #15: How Big Was Slavery?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Feb 9 15:14:51 PST 2020

On 2020-02-08 14:56, Drew Perron wrote:
> On 1/28/2020 8:31 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
>
> Fascinating. I've been really wanting to learn about how Europe got
> engaged in slavery in the first place; this gives some details but
> doesn't get into the deeper drive. (I'm betting it was at least
> partially in response to the Black Plague and the rise of wages and
> breakdown of feudalism thereafter.)
>
> Drew "messed-up shit huh" Nilium

I don't have a definitive answer.  But slavery didn't really go anywhere
in the Old World - possibly because Europe had enough labor for itself
by then, and trade unions had become a thing.

 From what I've seen of New World history, it was just really hard for
everyone other than *Puritans in England* to get enough volunteer
settlers to do everything that needed doing.  Puritans, of course, fell
into the "refugee" category for a while.

After a while, England started recruiting more refugees for separate
colonies.  Germans got Pennsylvania; English Catholics got Maryland.

France, Spain, and Holland just didn't have refugees.  I'm not sure why
the Dutch didn't recruit more Germans...

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org