DIVA: A Break from Tradition #1

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Dec 23 16:26:04 PST 2020

On 2020-12-22 23:10, deucexm wrote:

> As the Empress-to-be pondered Her teacher's phrasing and emphasis, She heard the
> sound of the lock turning, and a*clack*  - and then the shrill protest of
> age-old hinges as the treasury door began to open.
>
> Without another word, the teacher vanished into the darkness; and the
> Empress-to-be followed.

... Let me see if I can guess where this story is going.

"The treasury was empty - aside from one stone.  The young heir to the
Empire turned the stone over.

"'Peace on Earth' was all it said.

"The Teacher commented, 'This is the dangerous secret which our Gray
Empire hides from the world.'"

... Of course, I could be wrong.  I look forward to finding out.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org