LNH: Burst Beetle Tweseveny #8: "2007: X Marks the Spot and O Calls the Shot!"

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Aug 26 20:27:29 PDT 2020

On 2020-08-25 21:14, Drew Nilium wrote:

> "I wrote for the LNH, Time-Waster Lad! And..." Tweseveny clenches a
> fist, the burning shame rising up within her. "And I gave it up -
> because I thought, was told, again and again, that it was a waste of
> time! That it would never give me money and success, and I should
> focus on the serious things that would! But--" The shame burns away,
> and underneath is a new, strange, wobbly but powerful pride! "But I
> found my way back! Because I realized - time isn't made to be
> exchanged for pennies so someone else can spend it on dollars! Time
> is *yours* to be spent! And if spending it in your own pursuits makes
> you happy - that's *never* a waste!"
>
> "I... but..." Time-Waster Lad swallows, shakes his head. "But if I'm
> not doing anything with it..."
>
> "You *are*!" She reaches out and places her hand on his shoulder, and
> squeezes, radiant with determination. "When I came here, you helped
> me, talked to me, we had fun, and I felt the most relaxed I have in a
> long time! That's what you *do*, Time-Waster Lad! You give
> Legionnaires a break from having to be On all the time! You play
> games with them, watch TV with them, get into long, rambly
> conversations about their interests!"
You define both these characters really well here.

I look forward to the refereed Contest of Champions you seem to have
planned.

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

The soldiers presented a pathetic but inspiring spectacle. The
hospitals were crowded with sick and wounded; the walls were
gradually crumbling under incessant shell fire, yet that garrison
of heroes remained undaunted.

It was as Buck said, "just as if they had been Americans."

- from "The Airship Boys in the Great War", De Lysle F. Cass, 1915.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.  gutenberg.org