LNH/ACRA: Classic LNH Adventures #147: Legion of Net.Heroes volume 2 #23

Saxon Brenton Saxon.Brenton at uts.edu.au
Mon Apr 20 15:53:05 PDT 2020

Huh.  The LNH gay slashfic mystery story.  I'd forgotten about this one.  (The Intermezzo story that occasionally springs back into my memory is the 'Funky Monkeys' story with super-gorilla Krodd.)

So what honest assessment can I make about this one?  Well, the mystery format suits my sometimes overly talky writing style, because crap but there is a lot of world building/info dumping going on here and in other stories of this mini-arc.  I mean, I tend to do that anyway, but in these instances it involved reacting to other people's Event stories and trying to examine the consequences, so it's more pronounced that usual.

After all these years I can't remember whether or not the samples of LNH slashfic were an attempt at juvenile smutty humour thrown in to add contrast and levity to the info dumps.  If so, then as a piece of comedy in-and-of-itself it haven't aged well.  On the other hand, events like that are easily possible in a superhero class universe, so it holds together as an inciting incident for the characters *reactions* - although sometimes they're a little bit too calm and rational in how they handle it.  (In retrospect, I think that the WikiBoy/ MegaChurchMan/ MasterBlaster scene is the one that works best as a piece of characterisation that also gets closest to the LNH tradition of lunacy and overreaction.)

---
Saxon Brenton