LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #146: Legion of Net.Heroes volume 2 #22

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 21:27:51 PDT 2020

I think Jamie did a fine job with an unenviable task - re-contextualizing the unthinking racism inherent in the original character. As he said, the character was someone I created when I was younger and stupider, and simply accepted the hatred that was passed down to me without recognizing it for what it is. It's something I was ashamed of at the time that this story was originally posted, and it's something I'm still ashamed of now.

At the time this was posted, I was writing black characters much more thoughtfully, though there are still bits of the early Jolt City that I cringe at now - unspoken assumptions that I parroted uncritically, things I desperately wish I had done differently. Becoming a better and more thoughtful person is a process that never stops; I fully expect to cringe ten years from now at what I'm writing presently.