SW10: Psychovant Teaches American History #1 (the Bison Jumps)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Oct 7 20:05:49 PDT 2019

Introduction...

It has been noted that Psychovant the Duck could function as a
relatively normal, sensible, calm teacher of American History in high
school.  Power City High School in Oregon is hiring for one!  Oregon,
being largely run by hippies *and* home to the experimental ranch of
Doctor Fu, is open to the idea of opening more government service
positions to other species.  And their university is the home of the
Mighty Ducks.

Psychovant will be teaching an alternate curriculum to most American
high schools.  (Particularly to those of the 1970s.)  His sessions might
easily go as follows.

I'm not sure whether to publish this as a series of posts or as an
infodump.  But "infodump" fits my plan a lot better.  Maybe lots of
little snippets.  Ideally, with references.  Unfortunately, some of that
stuff comes from a bunch of town museums.  Fortunately, Psychovant will
take almost anything as a reference.

(signed) Scott, not Psychovant

Let me introduce myself to you, students.  My name is Psychovant.  Or,
Psychovant the Duck.  Feel free to refer to me as Mr. Psychovant.  Or,
Teacher.  Or, Teacher the Duck.

You are all students of Power City High School.  Not Power School across
town.  I come here to *your* school, to educate those of you who aren't
Powernauts.

Power City is in the State of Oregon.  As it happens, I have a degree in
teaching from the University of Oregon.  Yeah, I'm an Oregon Mighty
Duck.  And what with all the aliens and altered races on Earth, the
State of Oregon has admitted that anyone with proper certification and
at least human intellect is qualified to teach all you human children.
So here I am.

... What's that?  You think the U.S. Gov might object to Oregon
standards about education?  Naaah.  They haven't objected to Oregon
marijuana, have they?

... I hear I may have some online students.  The State of Oregon
provides my lessons for free, to everyone in Power City.  They make the
Powernauts do that too - and their reach goes a lot past that.

Okay then.  Lesson time!  Let's have one lesson right now!

*  Before the white man came, didn't the Injuns live in harmony with the
land and yada yada?  Well, yeah, but only compared to white men.  They
just weren't *that* good as hunters.  They mostly fed best when they
drove buffalo off of cliffs.  (https://allaboutbison.com/buffalo-jumps/)

   -  What's that?  Why do I call the Native Americans "Injuns"?
Because that was their original names, as far as the white man was
concerned!  Let's just say, the guy who got here first, thought the
Earth was a lot smaller than it is.  So he thought he was in Indonesia!
They called that East Indies, a lot like our West Indies islands.  And
if I just say "Indians", you'll think I mean people from India.  But
first...  (Next Lesson!)