SW10: Psychovant Teaches American History #8 (Spain 1519, England 1609)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Nov 26 18:34:42 PST 2019

Psychovant the Duck again, hacking the Powernaut pages for your
regularly scheduled lesson in American history. Last week we talked
about why Spain didn't win. Now we get more into the advantage they had
- for what it was worth.

Spain 1519, England 1609:  Spain was 90 years earlier onto the American
mainland.  Why didn't they just take the whole continent?  Three words:
gold, disease, and pirates. The Spanish just lunged after gold - and you
can't eat gold.  Then they blew it all on European wars.  Meanwhile, the
Euro diseases took those 90 years to wipe out 90% of the Injuns.  The
Injuns were successfully fighting off intruders 'til then, even the
Spanish.  And pirates (English, French, and Dutch) were swiping the new
world Spanish wealth all that time.
(https://orias.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/2010-lopezlazaro-summary.pdf)
  Still, Spain made it to New Mexico the same year England made it to
Massachusetts (1620).

--
---- Psychovant the Duck, hacking http://www.eilertech.com/ ----