SW10: Psychovant Teaches American History #6 (The Rest of the Injuns)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Nov 23 20:50:36 PST 2019

On 2019-11-22 23:47, Drew Perron wrote:
> On 11/12/2019 10:28 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
>> This is Psychovant the Duck, still here and teaching American history.
>> Last week we talked about how the White Man beat the Aztecs. Now,
>> how'd they beat all the other Injuns on the whole continent?
>>
>> ... Disease. Even with the tech difference between them and Euros, the
>> Injuns fought off everyone who wasn't a conquistador *successfully*
>> for 100 years, until the white man's diseases finally killed 90% of
>> Injuns.
>
> CGP Grey did a great video on why European diseases messed with
> Americans, but not the other way around:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYh5WACqEk
>
> (Short version: The way Europe handled livestock and the way cities were
> set up was *very successful* at spreading disease far and wide, and
> making sure there were immune carriers all over the place. This also
> lead to the Black Plague, so.)

Also, the Eastern Hemisphere led to a much larger disease pool than the
Western Hemisphere did.  It's doubtful North and South America even
communicated.  But Europe and Asia and Africa each tried to bring all
the others into empire, thousands of years before the present day.  And
China was drawn in by trading networks.

> Drew "sheesh, Psychovant brings out all the bitter parts" Nilium

Yeah, he seems to have an axe to grind against traditional history.  And
he doesn't really know any silly parts of colonial history.  (Really,
the Boston Tea Party was about as silly as it got.)  But if Psychovant
ever gets to the early history of the United States, he can start
listing all the farcical wars among state militias.  Plus the quaint
custom of giving out hard cider at political rallies.

Thanks for the commentary.  Gee, Drew, the Power City PTA is recruiting
volunteer assistants for teachers...!  ;)

--
---- (signed) Scott ----