SW10: Psychovant Teaches American History #1 (the Bison Jumps)

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 23:27:40 PST 2019

On 10/7/2019 11:05 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
<snip>
> It has been noted that Psychovant the Duck could function as a relatively
> normal, sensible, calm teacher of American History in high school.  Power City
> High School in Oregon is hiring for one!  Oregon, being largely run by hippies
> *and* home to the experimental ranch of Doctor Fu, is open to the idea of
> opening more government service positions to other species.  And their
> university is the home of the Mighty Ducks.

Fascinating, tho I'm skeptical that Psychovant could be a calm, sensible
*anything*. X3 <3

> Let me introduce myself to you, students.  My name is Psychovant.  Or,
> Psychovant the Duck.  Feel free to refer to me as Mr. Psychovant.  Or, Teacher.
> Or, Teacher the Duck.

X3 Cute.

> *  Before the white man came, didn't the Injuns live in harmony with the land
> and yada yada?  Well, yeah, but only compared to white men.  They just weren't
> *that* good as hunters.  They mostly fed best when they drove buffalo off of
> cliffs.  (https://allaboutbison.com/buffalo-jumps/)
>
>    -  What's that?  Why do I call the Native Americans "Injuns"? Because that
> was their original names, as far as the white man was concerned!  Let's just
> say, the guy who got here first, thought the Earth was a lot smaller than it
> is.  So he thought he was in Indonesia! They called that East Indies, a lot like
> our West Indies islands.  And if I just say "Indians", you'll think I mean
> people from India.  But first...  (Next Lesson!)

...interesting place to start off. X3;

Honestly, what I've learned lately is that "living in harmony with the land" was
basically practicing really smart methods of agriculture. Like, the Europeans
came to the New World and saw this Edenic natural bounty, only it wasn't
natural, it had been tended in complicated ways for generations, the entire
landscape the result of centuries-long sculpting. Less of a Noble Savage thing
and more figuring out not just good technology, but sustainable cultural
practices for that technology.

...that said, I wish I had a link to some kind of article about this. X3;

Drew "feels like I'm pulling stuff out of my ass" Nilium