SW10/WWW/REPOST: Update Request (Four Heroes, Part 2)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Nov 14 00:49:11 PST 2019

This relates to a RACC High Challenge story I once wrote:  "Missing
Story".  My story for the challenge was "Four Heroes, Part 2", in 2011
or thereabouts.  That story included (anachronistically) Ellipsis, Wyatt
Ferguson, and the Golden Age Powernaut - plus Racer Girl.
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/page.php?fn=4heroes.txt

That story was of course based upon "Four Heroes", in 2003.  It included
Ellipsis, Wyatt Ferguson, one Captain Mighty, and one race car driver
Roxanne Scott.  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/me2003.htm#4heroes

For the original story, I went to the trouble of describing a
corporation which sponsored an All-Girl Racing Team.  That corporation
was (for some reason) Nevada Power and Light.  I created two web pages
for it.  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/nevada/index.htm ,
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/nevada/heroes.htm

As of 2003, that corporation did not exist.  But in 2008 I found a link
to a Nevada Power and Light corporation.  I duly put it in - along with
a warning that my own web page was fictional and not for reporting
electrical issues.

This week, I got an update request for the link.  Some other corporation
has apparently bought Nevada Power and Light.  They have redirected that
website to sell their own cable and internet services.  They asked me to
follow their new link.

I declined.  I pointed out, my web site is fictional, and it refers to a
certain electric company which does not seem to be accessible to *their*
web site.  I offered to link to their Nevada electric company, if they
could produce such a link.  As of now, though, the link to a real-world
company is inactive.

I've yet to hear back.  We know how Big Companies get, when they swallow
and gut Small Companies.

But anyway...  here's my version of Classic SW10 for this week.  Might
as well start at the RACC classic,
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/page.php?fn=4heroes.txt .

--
---- (signed) Scott Eiler ----