LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup #14 - May 2019

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 21:06:02 PDT 2019

"Welp," says Kid Review, settling into the big couch on the ReviewSat, "It's
been a while, hasn't it? But it's time - time to put that feedback energy back
into RACC!"

"I'm going to try and do this the first Tuesday of each month (since that's what
my current work schedule makes easiest). But I'm also not going to worry too
much about schedule slippage - you'll notice that this is being posted... yeah,
it's technically Saturday at this point. Nor am I going to worry about not
reviewing enough things; the biggest thing here is to make the writers of RACC
feel acknowledged and seen."

"I'm going to emphasize new writers, returning writers, new series, writers I
haven't reviewed yet, and writers I haven't reviewed in a while - in that order."

"So, without further ado..."

<---------------------->

PREHISTORIC PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS

    =================  -------------------------------  =================
    =================  || ========================= ||  =================
    =================  || ========================= ||  =================
    =================  || ========================= ||  =================
    ><><><> | <><><><  || By:      Drew      Perron ||  ><><><> | <><><><
    =================  -------------------------------  =================

New Comics:
    LNH/LNH20: Cover Gallery #1000i-1001i
    SW10: Powernaut 2014 #3-7
    WWW: Ripping Off King Arthur #283

New Stories:
    8FOLD: Victory #3
    DIVA: Blue Stars ZERO
    DIVA: Skybreaker
    DIVA: Starmetal #1
    DIVA: Tales of the Holy Mountain #4
    MISC: Eclipse: The Girl Who Saved the World (Novel Excerpts)
    MISC: Godling #59
    MISC: Super Horse Friendship Force Five! EP #1-3
    LNH: Ten-Minute Tales #1
    LNH20: Writer's Block Person #44

Reposts:
    8FOLD/TEB: Science-Blades of Terra Alter, Book I
    LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #105-107

<---------------------->

Cover Gallery #1000i
A Classic Legion of Net.Heroes [LNH] cover
by Jeanne Morningstar

"I love Jeanne, desperately and unstintingly. That is all."

Blue Stars ZERO
A DiVerse Alpha [DIVA] Chronicle
by Felix

"Felix has been putting *monumental* amounts of Good Energy into our humble
community lately. Her work is full of cosmic joy and wonder, epic poetry, and
sheer weirdness. And it's also full of thoughtful worldbuilding, where
real-feeling people create systems and societies that feel equally real, as in
this work right here."

"A lot of the DiVerse reminds me of Discworld; stories about how the great
forces of history and society push on individuals, and, importantly, how they
find levers with which to push back. In this case, we've got an emergency
response unit that has to deal with a world of superpowers and giant monsters.
The obvious solution: Start this planet's first superhero team!"

"It's fun, too. A lot of writers would go for a very serious-faced military take
on this idea, but the Blue Stars administrators feel like the kind of people
you'd want running a public service - professional, but open, thoughtful, and
not without a sense of fun; focused on the good of the people they're serving as
their ultimate goal, and willing to alter their way of doing things to make sure
it aligns with that goal. (And Megan Mallory in particular is *adorable*.)"

"I know Felix worried about this being all talk and no action, but it's the kind
of talk that makes you anticipate the action, pumps you up to see it! I'm very
much looking forward to more stories about Section ZERO."

Godling #59
"The Inspection"
A Miscellaneous [MISC] series
by Jochem Vandersteen

"After a long hiatus, Jochem is back in action!"

"It's been a while since I last read Godling, and it's interesting. The writing
here is very straightforward - to the point of being simple, being blunt. But at
the same time, when I read it, I don't feel like anything's been skipped to
achieve this effect. It's all there, just *simple*."

"That's not to say that more detail wouldn't be nice, but I feel like Jochem is
free to add it on his own terms; what we have is enough to be getting on with. I
don't think it'd be to everyone's taste, but having some of this in our mix is
definitely worthwhile."

"(Also, I feel like I post something like this every time Jochem comes back? But
I think it's worth repeating.)"

Super Horse Friendship Force Five! EP #1-3
"Macho Mania ~or~ Five technicolor horses murder the concept of gender to gain
entrance into a discotech", "Storm Master ~or~ Five technicolor horses are
assaulted by a force of nature beyond their control", and "Astro Not ~or~ Five
technicolor horses reveal their motives to a misplaced man from misplaced space"
A Miscellaneous [MISC] series
by Annabelle

"Goodness this is a fun read!"

"Super Horse Friendship Force Five! is a parody of slash homage to slash
pastiche of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, with the cute personality-clash
shenanigans of that show turned up to eleven, featuring protagonists with
straight-up no-shit mental illnesses. This is the kind of thing that could easy
go into cynical pseudo-nihilism, in the vein of so many Adult Swim shows; but
the narrative really cares about these messed-up horses, and their surprisingly
compassionate enemies."

"Annabelle's writing is chaotic and messy - and full of energy, life, and smart
humor, recalling to mind some of the best of the early LNH. Underneath the loose
style, there's a deep Understanding of how to tell an engaging story, and it
carries you along with momentum and style. Plus, check out those titles! Those
are some hella stylish and hella smart titles!"

"I hope Annabelle sticks around for years to come, because oh goodness this is a
lovely energy."

Drew "smooches for Jeanne" Perron