MISC: GODLING # 60 Love & Death by J. Vandersteen

jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com jvdsteen1974 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 10:33:59 PDT 2019

– GODLING – THE ONE MAN PANTHEON:  Love & Death

Godling's broad chest takes the bullets fired at him, channeling the invulnerability of Achilles. The four men firing the bullets from assault rifles are masked and wearing black.
    "Are you going to continue to fire until those guns are empty?" Godlings asks them.
     One of the men decides another mode of attack, grabbing the gun by the barrel and runs towards Godling, intending to use the rifle as a club. Godling, trained in martial arts by Ares grabs the gun, twists it and hits the bad guy with the stock.
     "Idiot! We just need bigger firepower!" one of the other men says as he sees his partner fall down. He throws a grenade at Godling.
     Of course it doesn't hurt the One Man Pantheon either, he catches it and it goes off in his hand without harm. Godling then decides to take the bad guys down.
     He comes running at them, channeling the strenght of Herakles. He picks up one of the gunners, tosses him against another one. The last one pulls a knife and slashes at him.
     "Nice try," Godling says and twists the guy's wrist, the Heracles strength snapping his wrist, the knife falling on the floor. The bad guy falls on his knees, holding his painful wrist.
     "Don't whine," The One Man Pantheon says and takes the bad guy's wrist, using the power of Asclepius to heal it again. Then he puts a hand on his eyes and says, "Sleep." And sleep the bad guy does. Score for the power of Hypnos.
     The two bad guys he threw against each other are on their feet again, drawing handguns. Using the speed of Hermes Godling disarms them. He disassembles their guns, leaving it in pieces on the flooor.
     "Damn you!" one of the bad masked men says and runs towards Godling, fist raised. Godling takes him out with one flick of a Heracles powered finger, knocking him into the other one.
     "I guess that wraps it up. I just don't get people still try to rob banks in New Troy," he muses.
     Two police cars park, cops leaving the cars with guns drawn. Officer Janson among them.
     "Hi," Godling says. "They're ready to cuff."
     "You're making our job too easy," Janson says, putting the cuffs on a criminal and smiling at Godling.
     Godling thinks, "She's got such a great smile. I hate the fact she broke up with my... Or should I say Quentin. Maybe she was right and I'm still not over Monica. But..."
     "Hey, this guy is snoring. How did that happen?" the other cops says as he picks up the bad guy Godling used the power of Hypnos on.
     "I guess he got bored trying to defeat me," Godling says with a smile and flies off, using the power of Perseus.

   *
Monica Sawyer is sitting in bed with Wade Hudson, covering her naked body with the sheets.
   "Fireworks, still, right?" Wade says.
   "I... I guess," Monica says. "I'm going to take a shower."
    She leaves the bed and showers. While she showers she thinks, "The physical attraction is there. But I don't feel safe with him anymore. I know that stupid supervillain's helmet took over his personality. But still."
    She washes her hair and thinks, "It showed me a savage side I know is within him. And sometimes I seem to crave for Quentin's intellect and softness. Ah... Damn!"
    Suddenly the shower stall opens and there is Wade. "I thought you could use some company."

*
On Olympus Aphrodite is gazing into a large mirror that shows Godling talking to Janson on one half, Monica showering with Wade on the other.
    "These mortals and their lovelifes... I wish Monica and Quentin just would make up their minds and tell each other how much they love each other," she says.
     "You do hold a special interest for those two mortals in New Troy, don't you?" says Hephaestus, Aphrodite's husband and god of metalworking as he pops up behind her.
     "Yes, I guess I do."
     "Why is that?"
     "That's obvious, right? Godling/Quentin is the only mortal we recently gave powers. It's not that strange I'm looking out for him a bit. He's got a mission to perform for us," she says.
     Hephaestus frowns. "I guess."

*
In the evening two girls, in their twenties come out of a New Troy bar. They have their arms around each other. One of them is holding a glass of wine.
    One, a blonde girl, wearing a short skirt says to the other, "I so love clubbing with you, Rose."
    "Yeah, we had a great time! Too bad though that cute Latino guy was taken," Rose says, a brunette with leather pants.
    "Oh crap... I'm not feeling well. I have to puke," the blonde says.
    "Let's get into that alley then," Rose says and leads her friend to a nearby alley.
    Rose holds her friend's hair up when she pukes, saying, "We really are best friends, aren't we?"
    Then a sewer lid in the alley slowly opens. Red eyes peer from it. A dark figure comes from it. It jumps at the girls. The girls turn around and scream...

*
Next day. Detective Darlene King is at the scene of the crime in the alley where the girls were attacked. A CSI team is snapping pictures and gathering evidence.
    Kneeling next to one of the bodies Darlene has a good look at the victim's neck. "It looks like her neck is clawed open by an animal or something."
    A CSI, an older and grizzled looking man says, "A big one at that. Might have been one of those supervillains, though."
    "There doesn't seem to a motive. They are still wearing their jewelry, so I figure they weren't robbed," Darlene notes.
    "I think they were not raped either," the grizzled CSI says.
    "So they might have been killed for kicks? Great, just what this city needs a superpowered thrillkiller," Darlene says.

NEXT: More thrillkillers!