SW10/WWW: Doom Bear 1989 #11-12: You've Been Making the Humans Unhappy!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Dec 16 19:55:18 PST 2019

... Will it be Happiness, or Dominance?  Happy Bears face off against
the Doom Bear, as the Doom Quest concludes in two strips this week!

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1989.htm#11

Author's Notes:

I would have guessed either Psychovant or Pizza Fu would have taken over
Powernaut Comics first.  But the Doom Bear is the senior character of
those three, so he has more chances.  And at least it still took a funny
animal to do it.

I'd like for this Doom Bear episode to have been in 1990, so as to
slavishly follow Marvel Comics which was bringing back villain comics
then.  The occasion was Thanos overflowing from a Silver Surfer plotline
into his own villainous quest, which would eventually be the basis of
the world's highest-grossing movie (or two) up to 2019.  The Doom Bear
has likewise overflowed Powernaut Comics.  But he's on a timeline, so he
has stuff to do later in 1990 - when Ellipsis shows up.  And Christine
Lassiter needs some time to get there too.  Hence, Doom Bear 1989.

This episode has a bunch of other things to explain.  For instance,
presumably the Doom Bear (and the other Doom Creatures) had
predecessors.  Also, he took over the Happy Bear Land somehow.  Also,
he's awfully fixated on fire and ice.  Well, here's where we get answers.

I've already incorporated realistic fire art into my comics, plus
realistic cloud art which I photographed myself.  For this series, I
included realistic ice art which I photographed myself, at the great
Greenland icecap in 1999!

Me getting this series done this far before Christmas, was almost a
literal Christmas miracle.  It involved an Amazon shipping center
*offering* me time off of work, in the middle of its peak season.
Doomsday is saved...  Happy Holidays 2019!

--
---- Scott Eiler 8{D> -- http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut ----