SW10: Psychovant Teaches American History #10: What About the Dutch?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Dec 10 20:04:38 PST 2019

Hi, everybody, it's Psychovant the Duck with this week's American
history lesson.  Last week, we talked about French colonization.  This
week...

What about the Dutch?  Holland, a.k.a. the Netherlands, a.k.a. the
United Provinces (at the time), were the world's first capitalist state.
  Once they discovered how to make *profits* from doing stuff, not even
Spain the biggest empire in the world could stop them.  The Dutch did
stuff on or around six continents back then.  They grabbed a lot more of
America than we give them credit for.  (They almost kept Brazil!)

Still, they weren't successful everywhere, because capitalists can be
pretty damn stupid at building a society.  And they couldn't deal with
how many colonists the English sent to the New World, because paying
people wasn't the best motivation to send them off to the middle of
nowhere.  About which, see England (next week).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_colonization_of_the_Americas

--
---- Psychovant the Duck, hacking http://www.eilertech.com/ ----