8FOLD: Victory #2

Jeanne Morningstar mrfantastic7 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 15 22:13:19 PDT 2019

8FOLD Comics Presents:
VICTORY #2 [8F-191]
"The Day After The World Changed!"
by Jeanne Morningstar

CHAPTER 1: MORNING IN THE HOUSE OF GOOD...

"So," said Elinor the next morning, "did you hear about the new superhero?"

Elinor was gorgeous as always, even when she was still waking up in the
morning. She had this lovely, distinctive pastel goth style and had
recently dyed her hair purple. She was tall and fat; there was a lot of
her and it was all good. Kate felt like a shriveled goblin next to her.
Her outfit, mostly black, showed off her ample breasts and the silver
skull necklace she wore.

"The what?" Kate blinked. She was never fully a person before she'd had
her first cup of coffee, which she usually had black because she needed
the kick. Elinor by contrast was more of a tea drinker. She could go on
at considerable length about different types of tea. She knew tea the
way Kate knew level design and four-colors. "Sorry, haven't checked
twitter yet."

"And here I was thinking you'd be all over that." Elinor giggled.
"Look." She pulled out her phone and showed Kate some pictures that
people were posting, reposting and arguing over--a blurry figure who
seemed to fly through the sky. No one had really taken a clear picture
of her.

"Wow." She said. "I--I don't know. That'd be great, if we really had
superheroes again, but--" Oh right. She suddenly remembered. _That's me_.

"I don't know how to feel," she bullshitted. "It's... a lot. It means a
lot to me. Remember when you were telling me how when Doctor Who came
back you were excited but you were so invested in it that not sure how
to feel, because it was so important to you since you were a kid and you
were worried they'd mess it up? That's pretty much exactly me now, but
more so."

Everyone knew four-colors were a central part of Kate's identity and who
she was. That was a big part of how she'd realized she was trans. The
female heroes were always her favorite. She had a lot of favorites, but
they were the ones who she had always been viscerally fascinated by and
identified with. In fact, she'd picked the name Kate precisely because
it was weirdly common among four-colors. She was glad now that she
hadn't gone with Julie as her middle name like she'd thought about. She
would have died with embarrassment if she'd actually met Julie-Ann
Justice. Which theoretically might happen now. Oh boy.

"I understand," said Elinor. "So, uh. I totally get it if you can't
come, or want to leave soon, but... there's like a board game night
tonight with a bunch of my friends. I was telling one of them about you
and they really want to meet you." She smiled.

"What if I have to leave early?"

"Then I'll take you home. I understand."

"Yeah, but I don't want to be a drain on you..."

"You aren't. Really." She took Kate's hands in hers and squeezed. Kate
sighed. Her hands were warm and her purple nail polish was, of course,
perfect. Kate's own (blue, the same shade as her costume) was chipped
and she was way overdue for repainting them, another of those tasks she
was so good at putting off. "You've done so much to help me with my bad
brain stuff and my family issues... I don't know where I'd be without you.

"Thanks, but..." Kate sighed. "I kind of had this project dumped on my
lap last night and it's going to take a ton of time and effort to deal
with so... I might be kind of a flake for a while, actually."

"No, I understand. Good luck." She hugged her goodbye. Being hugged by
Elinor was such a nice feeling, and she wished it would go on forever.

Regret hit Kate the moment Elinor left the kitchen. Why hadn't she just
told her she was a superhero? Elinor was someone she knew she could
trust with anything. Then again, maybe she hadn't fully internalized it
herself... Or maybe she'd just read too many superhero comics and was
falling back on bad secret identity tropes because she didn't have a
script for handling the situation herself.

Maybe doing some work would help get her mind off things. Lately she was
working from  home, which was probably for the best. The problem was,
while it was probably better for her disability, when she was inside too
long, she felt like she barely existed. Should she try and get some work
done? Maybe get back to her game project she was toying with and finally
figure out how to wrestle Unity into submission? Then again, she had
another option now...

"Ah, hello," said the teddy bear in a waistcoat lying on her bed. She
blinked. That bear wasn't there yesterday. Then she remembered... "Oh,
Hi, Cornelius." She took a deep breath. "OK, so. My roommate, who I'm
hopelessly in love with, we talked about stuff but I couldn't tell her I
was a hero now... Wait, why am I telling you this?"

"I honestly don't know," said Cornelius.

"Anyway, how should I tell her about that?"

He shrugged. It was odd seeing a stuffed toy shrug. "I wouldn't know.
I'm only a bear. I can't offer you any help in the area of romance, but
I can offer you some guidance as to using your powers. You're due for a
training session soon."

"A training session?"

"Yes, in the Starlit Temple. Don't worry, time passes differently there."

"Why do I have to train? The original Mr. Victory didn't, did he?
Everything I've ever heard says he just jumped in and started doing his
thing."

"So, you didn't have any difficulty with your new powers?"

"Uh, well... OK, maybe you have a point."

"And as I'm sure you'll find, there's quite a lot that even you don't
know about the original Mr. Victory.  Now, shall we get to work?"

CHAPTER 2: MORNING IN THE HOUSE OF EVIL!

On the outskirts of Golden City that night, a man walked up the driveway
to his mansion. He was a stooped, hunched, unassuming, perpetually
nervous man. The name he used was Thomas Charleston. He always wore the
same plain black suit every day. He had worked for the last 30 years as
a lobbyist from an oil company, during which he'd been both wildly
successful and unnoticed by the public. He sometimes smiled but never
laughed. Once, at his daughter's eleventh birthday party, he'd laughed.
The room had fallen silent and the daughter had fled in tears. He'd
carefully restrained his laughter ever since.

He was about to give a quick greeting to his daughter before a beep went
off on his cell phone. It was not the normal ring. He racked his brains
for what it could possibly mean, then went ahead and answered the call.

The voice on the other end was one that, to anyone who heard it, would
sound oddly familiar but impossible to place. Paradoxically, the man who
now called himself Thomas Charleston knew from this exactly who it was.

"Agent Blanc? What's this about?"

"You should know, if you've been watching the news," said Agent Blanc.
"The seal is broken. You know what to do."

"Yes," said Charleston. A tremor crept into this voice--he almost
laughed, but now was not quite the time. "I'll be ready in no time,
Agent Blanc." Then the rumors were true--there was a four-color among
them now, and it was someone who was connected to Mr. Victory. Just as
he'd hoped. Just as he'd feared. He had known in his heart it was only a
matter of time after all the cosmic ant-hills that had been kicked up
lately, but would never have expected it to happen so soon.

He walked into his enormous library, pressed the location of the Bermuda
Triangle on the globe--the site of one of his bases in the old days--and
spun it quickly three times. One of the bookshelves creaked open,
revealing the secret staircase left untraversed for thirty years. He
walked down amid the flickering lights, brushing past the cobwebs and
the dust. And there it was. His old laboratory, now shadowed and dark.

For the first time in many years, he stood up fully. He stretched out
his bony fingers and moved his hands through the air like a conductor of
an invisible orchestra. The lights flashed on and revealed all his old
faithful death traps, the poison gas bombs, the killer robots, which had
waited patiently for just such an occasion as this. And there on the
wall were the pictures of all the times he'd faced Mr. Victory in
battle. He'd never technically won, of course, but he'd come closer than
anyone else. Which meant that this new hero should be no trouble at all.

He opened his mouth and laughed. The laugh trembled through his body and
he felt himself vibrate with glee. Many and varied are the paths to
becoming a villain, but perhaps his fate was sealed since the first day
he laughed. His laugh sounded something like a rusted gate hinge,
something like a horse, something like a howling wind. Some called it
the most horrible sound in the world. It was perfectly suited to the
role he had taken.

The seal had been broken. The wonders and horrors of the old world had
now woken up again. Which meant that it was time for Dr. Theophilus
Chorazin to live again.

****

Notes:

In the future, I'll be posting this series every other week, alternating
with LNH: Retcon Year. Both will be in short, webcomic-y installments.
Starting next issue there'll also be backup features, including a
continuation of Science Blades of Terra Alter from the Medley, and other
short-short stories about Golden City's heroes and history.

Re Kate's name, I had actually forgotten that there was another major
8fold character of that name, Kate Morgan AKA the third Dr. Metronome,
later Shimmer. As Drew pointed out, having names that recur in superhero
universes isn't that uncommon; the Marvel Universe has a bunch of
Stevens and Peters. I wound up making that a character point. Kate
Aldrich wouldn't know about Kate Morgan, though, because she doesn't
have a public identity.

"Cosmic ant-hills" this refers to the ongoing Pulse War arc. I'm being
deliberately vague as to where this series is set with respect to that
right now, but it's definitely after the events of The Red Hart and The
Last Story (Mighty Medley #16).

--
Jeanne "The Dark Space Princess Knight" Morningstar