LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #102: Just Imagine Saxon Brenton's RACCies! Part One

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:05:52 PDT 2019

On 4/14/2019 5:41 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:

> In this weeks reposting of stuff you can find in the eyrie archive
> https://archives.eyrie.org/racc/lnh/
> we have the first section of Just Imagine Saxon Brenton's RACCies!

Wait wait wait wait WHAT

Oh my god. It's happened. I've been around long enough to become Classic. @-@
...oh god, the time between the CPDC and Just Imagine #1 is shorter than the
time between Just Imagine #1 and now!! @-@ I am now the Old School, who is the
New Hotness who will overthrow me

> Manga Man yawned.
>
> Now, don't get him wrong.  It wasn't that he didn't like the way
> things were.  After all, he'd basically succeeded in his original
> mission: manga and anime were popular and well-appreciated in the US.
> And it wasn't as if he *wanted* to go back to fighting net.heroes for
> a living; he enjoyed his new career as the mascot and chief
> spokespersonl for OsakaPop Publications.
>
> It was just... kinda boring.

Man. Looking back, this is kind of an odd place for Manga Man to be in. I was
absolutely Feeling the idea of redeeming him, partially because "character who
represents manga is a bad guy" was always a touch weird, partially because yeah,
manga and anime were mainstream now, but mostly because of the last arc of
Unlikely Aliens. But clearly I only had a vague idea of *how*.

That said, "character being bored and then falling into adventure" is a classic
story-starter, so.

> Looking closer, he gasped.  There was a virus encoded directly into
> the plain text of the emai!  How devious (and totally impossible)!

I still love that line. X3

> Tapping a few keys, he isolated a copy of the virus and executed it.
> He gasped.  The virus would lay in wait until the day of the vote,
> then would take the winner of each... and delete every post ever made
> by that person!  No archive would be safe!  It would be as if an LNH
> author had never existed... he shuddered.

Ohhhhh, I'm gonna follow up on this sometime soon :3

> And, unseen within the quantum foam of the mangatech hard drive, a
> malign intelligence smiled.

This was a hook that I had no idea what it was gonna be. X3

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, who *is* going to send in
> nominations, darnit.

Aw shit, I still need to get my eligibles in place...

> JUST IMAGINE.... Saxon Brenton's RACCies! #2
> by Jamie Rosen
>

> "Aaaaaaaah!" screamed Mangaman as he plumetted through the air. He
> should have known not to request an office on the fifteenth floor, what
> with the Net.villainous penchant for leaping out of windows.

And Jamie jumps directly into messing with me/the characters, and I love it. X3
I figured Manga Man would have rocket boots or something!

> "Oof!" Mangaman grunted as he landed on the floor of the
> flight.thingee, his eyes temporarily replaced with spirals as stars
> twirled about his head.

Heeheehee

> Recovering, he began to explain, "We have to
> get the rest of the LNH, because --" he glanced up to see the identity
> of his rescuer. "You!"
>
> "What, you were expecting someone else?" asked Boysenstrawblue Alan
> Berry, the Fastingest Man Alive.

Oh man okay I have to explain this part. X3 So for a year, I put off Digital
JUMP! #4 because I had had an idea for a framing device featuring Alan Berry,
The Fastingest Man Alive, but I couldn't get it to work. Eventually, I dropped
that, finished the issue, and explained the character concept in the authors'
notes, releasing the character to Free For Use. And then Dave pointed out that
"Alan Berry" was the original Macroman's name, so I was like "...okay so his
*actual* name is Boysenstrawblue Berry and Alan is his middle name and also his
friends call him Steve."

And then Jamie just hecking threw him in. X3

> Meanwhile, somewhere between this world and the next....
>
> "I can't be dead," Pointless-Awards-Man II exclaimed. "I mean, I just
> can't!"
>
> "We saw your head explode," said anonymous RACC reader #1.

I love this whole gag. :D

Drew "seeing my old name so much is so weird" Perron