8FOLD: Daylighters # 6 (Annotations)

Tom Russell joltcity at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 08:01:50 PDT 2019

 _____              _ _       _     _
|  __ \            | (_)     | |   | |
| |  | | __ _ _   _| |_  __ _| |__ | |_ ___ _ __ ___
| |  | |/ _` | | | | | |/ _` | '_ \| __/ _ \ '__/ __|
| |__| | (_| | |_| | | | (_| | | | | ||  __/ |  \__ \
|_____/ \__,_|\__, |_|_|\__, |_| |_|\__\___|_|  |___/
               __/ |     __/ |
              |___/     |___/  ANNOTATIONS

      # 6 - EXITS & INTRIGUES

[1] the joke

The joke here, as will probably be apparent for long-time readers of
JOLT CITY, is that Derek is famously bad at keeping his secret
identity a secret. A number of people have figured it out on their
own, including Doctor Fatima Tarif and Trinity Tran (the latter being
Kate's mysterious benefactor from last issue).

[2] a friend

Claire is referring to her brother, David Collins, to whom she gave
the original umbrella in MANCERS # 8. While the first five issues of
DAYLIGHTERS took place sometime between MANCERS # 7 and # 8 - in fact,
they all took place on December 31, 2014 - this one, unfolding over
several days in early January 2015, takes place after MANCERS # 8.

[3] FEVER doesn't know that we know

If this sounds familiar, it's because this was the basic premise of
the unfinished Cal and Medusa serial that ran in the last few issues
of MIGHTY MEDLEY. As I've noted elsewhere, that serial (and related
side stories) are not canon - think of them as the messy rough draft
for the complete story that will come in the issues of DAYLIGHTERS to
follow.