SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1988 #2: I'm Not Into Bondage

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Oct 11 17:26:33 PDT 2018

It's another week with no Powernaut, but the villains and their pawns
are getting themselves into an interesting situation as Powernaut 1988
continues.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1988.htm#2

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary from Wyatt Ferguson!  Yeah, That
Was Me

I can finally admit this incident.  I kept a diary through the whole
thing.  But no one would believe how it all ended.  So back then, I
published it as comic-book fan fiction.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/1988/me1.htm

In 1988, I was young and idealistic.  And I still had facial hair,
though it was never impressive.  My scalp hair was nice and long, but I
shaved it for this occasion.

I read Iron Man comics back then.  He'd gone on a quest to neutralize
some stolen tech of his, even into Russia.  And then I found out, the
Russians had hacked some secrets of the MX Missile - secrets *I'd*
worked on.  By the standards of Iron Man comics, my next action was
obvious... I *had* to invade Russia myself!

I don't go places to kill people, though.  I brought tactical goggles,
pepper spray, and flashbang and knockout gas grenades.  I wore body
armor, of course.  I carried a bunch of ziptie restraints.  And back
then, I was pretty good at fighting with a big stick.

I'd heard of a credible way to shut down all their new missiles from one
missile silo.  So I snuck into Russia with an ultralight aircraft.  I
had an extraction plan.  (I figured Greenpeace would pick me up.)  But I
got stuck.  Fortunately, I suppose, my career full of weirdness started
then.

This was decades ago.  I used to remember it differently.  For starters,
Loki summoned me then...  With all the reality shifts I've been through,
I'm not surprised some things are different now.  But many things are
still much the same... for instance, the fact that I *got* extracted
from Kamchatka.

I know. - Archie Andrews