MISC: The Girl Who Saved the World Part 72

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 22:33:14 PDT 2018

On 6/11/2018 10:44 PM, George Phillies wrote:

<snip>
> There finally came the day on which I really did not feel sick.

Oh, lovely!

> It was very much time to re-appear at Kniaz Kang’s for breakfast, have pleasant
> conversations with normal people, and be on my way.

I'm imagining Eclipse writing fastidiously in her day planner, "Have pleasant
conversations w/normal people."

> I carefully
> checked my Joe disguise and slipped into a long winter coat and insulated
> gloves.

:D

> A complicated loop of teleport jumps brought me to line of
> sight behind the restaurant and its registered teleport landing pads. The pads
> were circles of pavement, each three yards across, laid out like giant flowers
> on each side of a spinal walk.They had thoughtfully all been shovelled
> already.

Oh lovely!

> I’d have to thank Teranike, who did a remarkable amount of heavy lifting
> for a somewhat minimal salary.

! :o Is this the first time that "Eclipse employs Teranike" has been stated?

> This way, any reasonable person would check the interweb,

Heeheehee

> I was halfway down the walk when warning lights came up on all six pads. Not
> three seconds later, what had to be half the Washington State Persona League
> appeared all around me.I froze, about to panic. Fight or flight both sounded
> really bad, when all I wanted was someone else’s cooking. Then I realized that
> none of them had force fields up.
>
> “Hi!” That was Lady Barbara, their lead mentalist, her garb the traditional
> mentalist dark green trim on cream.“Sorry if we startled you. We’re just here
> for an early breakfast.”
>
> “Hi,” I mumbled.“Not a problem.”

That is So Good. XD I love the "pursuers cheerfully greet and interact with
disguised pursued" trope. I wasn't expecting it and I love it.

> I pulled the side door open and held it for the Washington
> League. It’s just what a polite twelve year old boy would do for a group of
> adults. I had also lined them up in front of me in case things got violent.

Eclipse is so great.

> Women’s lacrosse is technically not a blood sport. Optimistically speaking.
> Being charitable. The rules say so. Honest.They really do.

X3 I love it

> “Her,” Kang announced with a not-quite-joking frown. “Your new girlfriend. Your
> height? Copper hair? Really pretty? Enough of a persona that she wore light
> trousers and a lighter blouse and vest, no coat at all, despite the weather?
> Paid for very little breakfast in good coin? After she cleaned my parking lot?
> And asked where she should sit, you being her boyfriend?”
>
> “Oh,” I managed. “Her.My girl friend. We must have been on different
> schedules.”In particular, my girlfriend schedule was for obvious reasons
> extremely blank, likely to stay that way for some years yet, and so far as I can
> tell at the moment going to stay blank forever. Girlfriend? What was going on
> here?

Yessss. :D Excellent, excellent. I feel like your writing's really been getting
better lately.

Drew "funnier and more expressive" Perron