8FOLD/PRECOG: Mancers

Drew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 20:08:54 PDT 2018

On 7/14/2018 12:51 AM, Tom Russell wrote:
> On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 12:16:56 AM UTC-4, Drew Perron wrote:
<snip>
>> Fuck You Rainshade:tm:
>
> So, about that.

Oooooo. :D

> The first arc takes place in the tailend of 2014, running somewhat concurrently with the Darkhorse
> mini (though you won't see any overlap there plot-wise).

Ahhhh, gotcha. :o

> It takes place well before the Cal solo adventure and related back-ups, where Rainshade got rather TERFy
> and poor Featherweight got fridged. The most unfortunate part of that is that the story didn't get
> finished, because that's when I had my car accident and the Medley ceased to exist. The very next issue
> would have had an installment in which Featherweight gets better (there's a twist there but in that it
> kinda ties obliquely into some of the stuff coming in Mancers, I'm not going to spoil it here), and
> becomes super-integral to the storyline.

Oooooh, gotcha. :D Definitely happy about that.

> But I'm really, really unlikely to finish that story, at least in that format. What's more likely to
> happen is that I'm going to fold it into the Daylighters series*, starting it over from scratch, and if
> the Featherweight memory wipe factors into the story, it's going to be more akin to the Kate Morgan wipe
> from the Darkhorse series - Rainshade won't have the TERFy overtones.
>
> And, I mean, those were on purpose - that's who I thought that character was. I've learned more about  > her in the last couple years and I don't think it feels in character for her
at this point. She's still > running around doing terrible things for dubious
reasons, but those reasons aren't about exclusion and
> hatred.

Ahhhhh, I see! Honestly, that's... really a good call? Like... to be honest,
it's always been clear that Rainshade is a character who's supposed to be in a
moral gray area, doing not-good-but-sometimes-necessary-or-at-least-arguably-so
things for theoretically-good-though-often-ultimately murky reasons. But in her
actions towards Featherweight, she's just a straight-up asshole, no good reasons
available and none really believable. The latter undermines the former, and
taking it out is probably going to make that moral complexity and grayness work
a lot better.

> Speaking of retcons, the Medley story "The Company Man" is not really canon at this point, insomuchas
> the story has been folded into the Mancers series, and the company man in question has had his name
> changed from Donald to David. Consider it an alternate version of these events, an echo of a parallel
> universe.
>
> [* - At the rate I'm going, the Daylighters series will launch in like 2030.]

I know that feeling. X3 I'm glad to see you're still plugging away - I love your
work, and if it takes that long for it to see the light of day in a form you're
satisfied with, I'm willing to wait.

Drew "twelve years doesn't seem unreasonable for something that enjoyable" Perron