SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1987: Year One!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Jan 17 17:54:11 PST 2018

What do you do when you have no Powernauts?  In the finest Powernaut
tradition, Powernaut Comics now proudly presents a new Powernaut for a
new era.  Finally, one for the 1980s and beyond!  To properly reflect
this important occasion for this series which has been going for
decades, we're of course calling this series Year One.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1987.htm

... Finally, the missing link in the history of Powernauts.  I would
love to have skipped to some other stories, but I really have to start
this Powernaut here.  I would also love to have stuck to my conventional
Powernaut drawing style, but part of the concept for this one was "100%
Digital!"  DC was trying that concept out with Batman specials at the
time.  They promptly abandoned it.  I will almost certainly do likewise
after this series ends.  But people say, creators should try things
outside their comfort zones.

The concept allows for a certain level of crappy art, suitable for 1987
drawing software.  That's about what I use here.  (My strong right hand
usually handles the drawing duties; the software just scans it.)  In the
modern age, some better drawing software exists, with character
templates... but it's not readily available.  I'm experimenting with
character and costume design with the DAZ studio now.  But even if it
worked right away, it still wouldn't be appropriate for 1987.  So I'll
just shut up now and try to get the job done.

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary from Stephen Oliver Samuels
(S.O.S.)!  Another Powernaut, Another Year One

I hesitate to drop names, but Mister Goldblatt and I actually go way
back.  He was one of the Hyper-Children in Hypergaard 1969.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1969.htm)  He was the one
who was dressed like a Powernaut then.  So I paid close attention to his
career.  At first when I heard of the Powernaut movie, I wondered if
that was the reason he was dressed like that in Hypergaard.  But...
well, keep reading this series to find out.

I know. - Archie Andrews