SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1988 #12: Better Start Flying

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Dec 19 13:33:43 PST 2018

The Powernaut's adventure in 1988 is over. How will the world react? To
Be Concluded - next week!

http://eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1988.htm#12

Bonus Section: 2005 Reprint Commentary from Steven Oliver Samuels
(S.O.S.)! I Suppose He Did Succeed
One might wonder why I seemed to be blackmailing this neophyte Powernaut
into working for me and the U.S. Armed Forces. I considered it to be
more of an introduction. The United States Government has a legitimate
interest in the superhuman powers of its citizens, and it was going to
introduce itself to this new Powernaut in any case. I kept this as
cordial as possible.

One might also wonder why I was so lenient on this Powernaut when the
mission didn't go exactly as I intended. I consider that to not have
been the Powernaut's fault. Who could have expected his opponent to send
his power elsewhere, while himself under attack?

About that opponent... Wyatt Ferguson was himself of interest then. He
was just harder to find than the Powernaut was.

About the subterfuge... The strip implies some collusion by Wyatt
Ferguson and the Powernaut. I had no reason to believe that at the time,
however. Neither did the many other observers, including the one with
the mystic vision powers. And Mr. Ferguson has already admitted, his
recollection of the events are confused.

About the target... Only the U.S. Air Force command and control systems
were disrupted. U.S. nuclear submarines were unaffected. A similar
disruption happened on the Russian side then. In short, United States
security was only minimally affected.

I know. - Archie Andrews