LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #52: LNH Triple 10

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Dec 8 08:32:51 PST 2018

On 2018-12-07 20:44, Tom Russell wrote:

> I want the characters to be interesting and complicated, and to not
> have answers - they're people, not questions or categories.  There's
> a danger with this - particularly when writing in first person or
> indirect third - in that there are some headspaces not worth living
> in, some people who are undeserving of empathy.  A writer can't just
> hide behind "this is what the character is like, just telling it like
> it is" to write awful and heinous things and absolve themselves of
> responsibility for that; a writer makes choices first and foremost,
> and should be aware of those choices as they're making them.
Do you remember the "Behind Blue Eyes" RACC High Concept Challenge?  I
took my most creepy villainous villain (Philippe St. Joseph Lateran) and
wrote a story from his point of view.

As I write this, I'm sitting with friends of mine.  They have fond
memories of taking children to see Transformers cosplay at a convention
- and tell Megatron how Optimus Prime would beat him.  Thanos and
Voldemort also came up in the conversation.

So I think there's some merit in presenting things from the villain's
point of view.  One just has to acknowledge that it *is* a villain we're
talking about.

I know. - Archie Andrews